Flying to Florida soon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Once you fly with a checked gun..you'll think that was easy. I don't know why i even gave not bringing the gun a thought. Really is no big deal.

The downside to it is you can't check your baggage at the curb.You have to go through that really slow long line.The rest is easy.Remember to check with the individual airline as well as TSA's website as some have some "extra" rules to follow. Steve

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once you fly with a checked gun..you'll think that was easy. I don't know why i even gave not bringing the gun a thought. Really is no big deal.

The first time I flew with a gun I was very nervous, but now it is just part of the routine.

All those fanny packs you don't see in OK.........
you will find in FL, and they don't all have guns in them.

When I took the family to Disney World a few years ago I was amazed at the number of fanny packs I saw. I bought one with a big Mickey Mouse on it and wore it around everywhere - and it did not look at all out of place.

Talacker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One downside, if you are flying on an airline that charges for checked baggage and you would've otherwise just had a carry on, taking that gun could cost you.

Happened to me. Didn't even think about it. Bringing the gun along ended up costing $50.

If you're going to check anyway, no worries I guess.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The downside to it is you can't check your baggage at the curb.You have to go through that really slow long line.The rest is easy.Remember to check with the individual airline as well as TSA's website as some have some "extra" rules to follow. Steve

I have never carried my pistol on an airline yet but my brother has been to Florida a couple times with his and he says that when you tell them you have a gun to check, they move you straight to the front of the line past everyone else, and they took his whole group with him. He said it actually speeds things up.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who said anything about a friendly tourist. I'm a bitter American that clings to Guns and Religion.

No fanny pack here thank you very much.

We are staying at a friends family owned house. This one is one I introduced to guns and has now applied for her OK CCW. No worries about that issue.

Just need to get a case picked up to put the guns in. I found the perfect case small and compact. Not to sure if it would fit the Glock 23 or not. Keltec just fine. Still have a couple of weeks to search so no rush.

Nanotech9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i went simple... i actually picked up one of those hard CD cases at walmart - with the metal corners about 2" thick and 8" square.

I added two metal angle brackets (the built-in lock is crappy) and put a padlock through the add-on pieces.

I've flown with it three times.

last time to houston The Southwest agent was super friendly and started talking about a CCW for his wife. I invited him on here.

on the way back, i was told i was in the wrong line. Apparently theres a special line just for checking firearms - right to the front. The airline agent didnt want to even open the case to inspect.

Both times i carried the ammo loaded in the magazine. I believe (double check this) that the TSA rules mention that the ammo can be in the magazine. Either way, nobody had a problem with it. Just dont put the mag in the mag well, and make sure the chamber is empty.

you'll end up NOT being able to lock the bag that the firearm is in, and they'll ask you to place the firearm case right at the top of the bag. The reason for this is that TSA agents will open your BAG, and read the card that gets TAPED to your firearm hard locked box. Instead of digging through your bag, they just check it, close the bag back up and move on.

IF THEY REQUIRE INSPECTING THE FIREARM, the cell number you put on the card on the hard case will be called, and they'll have you open the box. Hasn't ever happened to me yet. Probably wont.

Good luck! if you see any funny laws in FL, point them out. I'm heading that way in a month!!!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
American's website states the ammo must be in original packaging. I'm going to not bother trying to question it and just strip the rounds out and put them back in the box.

Nothing to crazy from what I have read on FL. Still haven't found any regs on knife carry. I might have to search for FL equivelant of OKShooters to do some digging.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have never carried my pistol on an airline yet but my brother has been to Florida a couple times with his and he says that when you tell them you have a gun to check, they move you straight to the front of the line past everyone else, and they took his whole group with him. He said it actually speeds things up.

Flown with a weapon many times and never had that happen.I've never asked though,I'll try it next time. Steve

Latest posts

Top Bottom