For all you diesel guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock N Load

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got done reading a article in Diesel Power magazine. They did a week long test that covered 2000 total miles to determine the most powerful diesel truck. They tested the GMC 3500, Ford F-350 and Dodge 3500. The test included pulling a trailer that weighed 19,400 pounds in a quarter mile race. Gmc finished first, ford second and dodge last. Also had them pull the trailer up a 12 mile stretch of the rocky mountains. Again gmc won with a time of 9:09, ford second with 10:16 and dodge last with 11:49. Through the quarter mile, the longer the race went on, the gmc and ford pulled away from the dodge. After all the tests were done the Gmc was declared the winner. Just thought it was interesting because so many people say the cummins is by far superior to the duramax and powerstroke but finished last it almost every test they did.

nhagar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol I see this thread going well.......

Oh well I watched Top Gear and the ford pulled a train!

but on a serious note I love my 7.3L powerstroke and it has shamed a few of my friends all so mighty cummins.

johnharms

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main thing the Cummins has going for it, or it did, was that it is a fairly simple motor to work on. But, from my experiences of working on the farm, the powerstroke seems to tackle any job the best.

Just my 2 cents!!

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been driving an '08 GMC 3500 diesel for a couple of years. No doubt it's faster than our other work trucks which are all F350 diesels. However if you put a trailer on it, even an empty one, it goes into an "engine power is reduced" mode and top speed comes out to about 45mph down a hill and takes several minutes to reach those break neck speeds. It likes to do this once you get a few hundred miles from home. The mechanics can't figure it out. I don't care enough to pursue it since it's a work owned vehicle. I drive a Ford F350 now.

And the Ford doesn't have the same jacked up rear end that makes it almost impossible to see behind you. I'm 6'2" and can't see out the back well enough. Ford>GMC. Close the thread, I ended the debate. Dodge will always be the red headed step child in this topic.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always enjoy the opportunity to show off my "heavy hauler." Its a 2008, Ford F450 that we bought to pull our luxury fifth wheel that is our home now. The trailer is 18,500 lbs of GVWR and the F450 acts like nothing is behind it. I'm anxious to try out a few Colorado mountain passes to see how well it does there. Equipped with a 6.4L with automatic transmission and a 4:88 rear differential ratio. Ought to be really good on mountain passes.

I could care less about speed, and towing 18,500 lbs, I don't worry about fuel mileage either.

And yeah, that's my ugly mug.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z458_TerryandJo_Our_20New_20Home_TMandHisTruck_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom