For those people who have cox cable HSIS (since some people have corrupted minds)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Running a hard line is simple, especially for copper cable. It's exactly the same on both ends. Should take you about a minute to put an end on. If you don't want to drop the cash on the tool then run the cat 5 how you want it leaving some extra on each end and I will come put them on for free when I am in OKC.

www.bnoack.com_graphics_T568B.jpg

If you have a combo modem router that is just how they tend to be a lot of times. I have an R8000 that I use for WiFi only as an AP and honestly I can not remember the last time I had to reset the thing. My Modem was up to around 180 days until last night when a breaker tripped and the only reason why I had rebooted my router is generally when I install updates or make a major modification where something wasn't just right and had to roll back the config.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sad to say but cox doesn't have DSL

@skyhawk1 As far as your issues go take a look in the modem and see what the signal levels are. If you do have cable internet you want a signal as close to zero as possible on the downstream and a SNR above 35 and upstream power around 40. If it's DSL the levels are different and I would have to look them up. If you want me to take a look in person drop me a line and we can work something out. Sometimes there are things you can do on your end that will help alleviate issues or I can tell you flat out that it is an issue with your ISP.
cox has looked at it, have problems at both stores. They said all weekend it is nation wide
Appreciate the offer

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cox has looked at it, have problems at both stores. They said all weekend it is nation wide
Appreciate the offer

No problem, must just be a phone issue nationwide cause internet has been just fine for me.

However if it's more than just phone I would say BS and there is something else going on. I never trust a tech though which is why I learned to read the level information and figure out how to fix the issues.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got home today after running the wife around for Dr. appointments and such. Anyway about 30 mins after getting home Fedex dropped the modem off. Pain trying to activate the thing, but got it setup and working. Wife had to call even though I went to the activation page, guess they have reverted from a simple self activation to a phone call to deal with a derp again. Guy was trying to have me connect to an SSID for wireless except it's just a modem and not a router, not to mention that I am using a computer without wireless anyway. I think I will just start calling their "tech support" lines derp support...

It is the CM8200 which is the cable company version of the SB8200 but black instead of white. Got 32 channels down and 4 up connected and seems to be working fine so far.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Running a hard line is simple, especially for copper cable. It's exactly the same on both ends. Should take you about a minute to put an end on. If you don't want to drop the cash on the tool then run the cat 5 how you want it leaving some extra on each end and I will come put them on for free when I am in OKC.

www.bnoack.com_graphics_T568B.jpg

If you have a combo modem router that is just how they tend to be a lot of times. I have an R8000 that I use for WiFi only as an AP and honestly I can not remember the last time I had to reset the thing. My Modem was up to around 180 days until last night when a breaker tripped and the only reason why I had rebooted my router is generally when I install updates or make a major modification where something wasn't just right and had to roll back the config.
Making the end connections I can probably handle, however the climbing through the attic part could be pretty difficult with my fat... Ummm... Me. [emoji23]

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Making the end connections I can probably handle, however the climbing through the attic part could be pretty difficult with my fat... Ummm... Me. [emoji23]

Just get a fiber fish pole set or two. Drill a hole and run to an access panel area. Pull the cable and then do the same thing on the other end. For really long runs the tapes will work ok but you have to get a piece of pvc to help direct it at times.

I was fishing wires with just a piece of pvc with a wire on the end. Was in a hallway and had to go over a pony wall under a beam and to a recessed light can. Guy I was working with at the time was standing there saying he couldn't find it. I gave it a little wiggle and nearly poked him in the eye with the pvc.... Kept telling him it was right there and I was able to hit the hole perfectly with all the crap in the way. Pulling PEX through the mechanical chases in that place was the worst though. Had a tiny access panel in the lobby then had to crawl inside a column to get into a chase that ran the length of the building with vertical chases that acted as wet walls between the kitchens and bathrooms. The worst part was that when it was a hotel they figured that a simple way to dispose of razor blades was to just have them "disappear" in the back of the medicine cabinets. Naturally that means the bottom of the chase's were covered in old rusty used razor blades until you got them picked up and thrown in something. I'll take an attic any day over that job.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The worst part was that when it was a hotel they figured that a simple way to dispose of razor blades was to just have them "disappear" in the back of the medicine cabinets. Naturally that means the bottom of the chase's were covered in old rusty used razor blades until you got them picked up and thrown in something.
That was actually fairly common in the days of double-edge razors, and not just in hotels; a lot of older homes have similar blade slots in the medicine cabinet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we ran electrical/data cables through the offices at work with the low ceiling panels suspended by wire, there is a gun one can buy to “shoot” a thread across the room above the panels to use as a fish tape, pulling a heavier line across. Worked great!
Think of a gun like we had as kids that was spring loaded and shot suction cup darts.
Same gun, different darts.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we ran electrical/data cables through the offices at work with the low ceiling panels suspended by wire, there is a gun one can buy to “shoot” a thread across the room above the panels to use as a fish tape, pulling a heavier line across. Worked great!
Think of a gun like we had as kids that was spring loaded and shot suction cup darts.
Same gun, different darts.

Yeah the ones I have seen look almost like a fishing reel for pulling back. Working in an attic with an access panel it may just be easier to run a 20 or 30 foot fiberglass pole through a hold over to the opening and do the same thing from the other end and then just pull the line through. Small hole in the ceiling but easily covered up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom