For you (pre) history buffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neanderthal,

Perhaps you could give me some insight on this one? I found it in the Caney riverbed East of Collinsville, OK back in the early 70's. I love looking at cool stuff like this! Any tips on good places to see more? Thanks!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sooner67, looks like you have a few states represented there. Nice display!

Glocktogo - That's a Harahey knife. Some people like to refer to them as the "original Buffalo skinning knife". They are Mississippian and date A.D. 1700 - A.D. 1100 (300 to 900 years old, approx). They were used primarily in the plains states, where you would find buffalo. Do you see the steep 4-beveled edges? That's the result of resharpening and has been practiced on certain points for almost 10,000 years. The aboriginals found out that if they sharpen only the very edges on one side, they can conserve flint and still retain that sharp, straight edges. It's genius and a practice that we probably should still use today. The natives also employed a serrated edge on many of their knives, which has also been in use since the early archaic around 10,000 years.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've only found a few arrowheads here in Oklahoma. I've found about a shoe box full of arrowheads and a few spearpoints in Naylor,Missouri. My dad had some friends with farms that after they plowed the fields you could find alot. One area had mounds about the size of picnic tables...he never dug into them, nor allowed anyone to disturb them.

I have some property between Cortez and Telluride in SW Colorado. I find lots of Anasazi pottery shards but no arrowheads yet.

Yep, I'm very vague as to the location. I never tell any of the locals what I have found, nor dig on the property. I don't want the BIA or any archeological team to declare my property the next new Mesa Verde.

I'll post pictures of some shards I've found over the years tonight. No arrowheads as of yet...really, I've not heard of anyone in SW Colorado finding arrowheads, maybe they're keeping quiet?

Cohiba

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a chance to get out for a few hours again today, here's a few that I found.

6-20arrows.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom