Ford Ecoboost F-150, whos driven it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone here driven any of the new F-150's with the Ecoboost V6 in it? Or if you were looking at those and the new Silverados or Sierras and drove them all post up what you chose and why. Any reviews of any of the F-150 class trucks would be much appreciated. People who own the Ecoboost F-150, I'd really like to hear how many miles you've put on it so far and your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drove one and then a 5.0 right after it. The Ecoboost seemed to have more pep. Don't know how it would do when pulling a load. It would be under boost alot of the time and would likely suck down the fuel. If I were to buy a new pickup, it's the one I would choose but I don't do much trailer pulling.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
guy up here at work has an ecoboost one. he pulls a pretty good size camper with it. he seems to like it. doenst have turbo lag like a normal turbo car does. id buy one over the 5.0.

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother-in-law has one and loves it. He has put more than 5k miles on his so far with no issues. He pulled an enclosed trailer to Tennessee for a Salt Water aquarium show and then hauled a custom aquarium to Kansas. No issues either time. I have gone with him on several drives and really like it. Very peppy and the interior is really nice. Tons of leg room in the 4 door. The sync system is the best one I have seen so far.

He says he loves it and loves getting the free oil changes that he got with it when he bought it from Seth Wadley Ford in Pauls Valley.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After extensive research, I settled on the ecoboost F150 and haven't looked back. Ford really hit it out of the park with this one. The ecoboost has more torque and horsepower than the 5.0, due to the twin turbos.

Also, the F150 is the smoothest riding truck you'll ever ride in. Out of all the trucks I've driven, it glides as if you're riding on air. I'm used to the old school trucks where you're bouncing everywhere. Not so with the F150. Even friends who drive BMW's and Bentleys have commented about the ride in the F150. Gas mileage is comparable to my old 98 Ford Explorer. If you have a heavy foot and gun it a lot, probably less. It has a lot of pep off the line and it's fun hearing the turbos spool up and hearing the turbos whine.

If you floor it, there is a slight delay before the turbos kick in. Sometimes the sag can be really bad when you gun it when the engine least expects it. Most of this is due to how the engine is programmed. The Ford cars with the ecoboost don't have this problem as they are programmed to be always "on" when the pedal is floored. With the trucks, there's a delay when the engine is figuring out if you're slamming the gas because you need extra hauling power or if you're just gunning it off the line. Some people have been able to tweak the trucks computer to make it behave more like cars so they kick of the line without the sag.

If you're going to be hauling something everyday, I would stick with a 5.0. Under constant heavy load, the 5.0 will be slightly better gas efficient. Otherwise, the ecoboost is where it's at. The only reason why Ford didn't get rid of the 5.0 is because they will lose the "5.0 or nothing" type crowd. You can even read up on the torture test Ford did with the ecoboost.

If you do buy the ecoboost, be sure to get a rear axle ratio of 3.55. The super towing F150's will have a 3.73 axle ratio. Do not get the ones with a 3.15 axle ratio, however. It'll save you a little more on gas, but lacks the towing capacity out of the three. 3.55 is a nice inbetween balance of towing power and road performance for gas mileage.

In my 4 door supercab, I'll get about 18-19 mpg in town. If I make a habit of gunning it off the line and driving aggresively, then it's more like 16-17 mpg. On the highway, I'll get anywhere from 18mpg - 21mpg depending on conditions and wind, ect.

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the '10 5.4L and I love it. Two of my good friends also have new f-150's, but they both have the '12. One bought the eco because he has a bass boat that he hauls everywhere and the other opted for the coyote 5.0. If you arent pulling a load there is no reason to spend the extra 2.4k on the eco option. From what I have seen it only gains 1-2mpg. I can get 21-22 on the highway doing 65-70 and my bud with the eco only get 22-23. Its a cool concept, but I would much rather have a small block diesel in a half-ton.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too work with a guy who bought one. He has the S-Crew ecoboost and uses it to pull a fairly large camper. He said his MPG drops considerably pulling that big of a camper, but that is really expected. I think he averages around 24 MPG with mixed driving. I have driven it a couple times and I can say, I prefer the it over my '05 5.4 SCrew. Of course, I never thought too highly of the 5.4 anyway. However, I think my 5.4 has a little more oompf when it comes to pulling a heavy weight.

Edit to Add: His is a 2WD.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drove a friend's "Platinum" Ecoboost, it will get up and go at HWY speeds. Really nice truck ..... for a Ford anyways. :D

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont have the eco boost, but my 09 F150 is a very nice truck. I love the 4 doors and the 5.4 Triton. I got this coming out of an 07 F250 King Ranch Diesel. I have a friend that has an identical truck but with the eco boost and he loves it. My wife has a Tarus SHO with the ecoboost, that car is a rocket and gas mileage depends on your right foot. They are great engines and I dont think you will be disappointed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom