Free floating 10-22 with hogue stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a 50th anniversary 10-22 target tactical model a couple of months ago. It has a hogue oversold stoc and a 16.5 bull barrel. Maybe put 300 rounds doe range with it, haven't even officially zeroed it. Just been shooting it. I absolutely love it, and with and VERY ROUGHLY zeroed nikon pro staff rimfire scope I'm hitting within a minute of a steel plate at 100ish yards, from the standing. Wonderful gun. I intend on shooting it more when it stops raining every day here in the city.

The rifle came with a hogue oversold stock. I have the aforementioned scope, sling swivels, and a bipod on the rifle. I like the stock, don't really want to drop a ton of money on this rifle, other than maybe get a new trigger group. What I have noticed is that on the right side of the barrel the stock is touching the barrel. Unsure about the underside though. Is it going to do me any good to free float the barrel? And would free floating the barrel be the same with the hogue stock be the same as with wooden stocks, IE a dowel rod with sandpaper?

Any other cheap/free things I can do to get the most out of my setup?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg

Might as well show off while I'm on the subject, haha.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll be able to take a very small amount off that Hogue with sanding. Very little... and you might need a sharp knife to trim the rubber.

You might undo the take down screw first and reinstall the action. Might just be cockeyed

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pop can shims under the V block, don't get into sanding the rubber coated stock that's a bad idea. Also try loosening the action screw and lightly push the barrel to the opposite side it's touching when you tighten it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pop can shims under the V block, don't get into sanding the rubber coated stock that's a bad idea. Also try loosening the action screw and lightly push the barrel to the opposite side it's touching when you tighten it.

Got it, I'll give that a shot. Maybe shave a little with a razor.

With free floating my barrel.... Is it going to do much for me? Or am I just wasting my time on this?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the trigger and wanting to be cheap try the volquartsen target hammer, I bought one on recomendatikn and it's quite nice.

I will have to consider that. I was thinking of purchasing a new trigger group, I think it's made by hornet or something. About $140. A little more than I wanna spend, but it's about the only thing I'm looking to upgrade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom