Freedom Munitions 44 Magnum Loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all!
Wanted to post for yall to be wary of and give input on your experiences with Freedom Munitions 44 magnum ammunition.

First off, let me say that i have had multiple semi-automatic pistol and rifle calibers from this company without any issues whatsoever.

However, their 240 grain 44 magnum XTP "New" ammo is definitely far from on par. I recently took this to the range in my Marlin 1894s lever rifle with a Leupold 3-9x40 LR scope. I am a reloader and I only got these so that I could get the scope "sighted" and then compare my other loads grouping to determine which the rifle would be sighted to. So, i set up at tri-city at 50 yards and fired 3 shots on 6x. the group was 14 inches across at 50 yards. I thought "surely i pulled that" and fired 3 more shots. the group was 18 inches across with bullet impacts completely inconsistent with the first three. At this point, i was convinced my mount had worked loose. I checked everything and it was tight and fine.

So, after mulling it over more, I switched to my target at 25 yds that i set up for my little 22 plinker. I thought that this would clearly make things more easy and perhaps i was just having an "off day". Fired three rounds and 9.5 inch group. Fired three more (admittedly rather peeved so that probably effected the group a little) and got a 13 inch group. I was so pissed (fearing my rifle was having issues or my scope was somehow defective) that I packed up and went home. After a very "in depth" inspection and touch up, i couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Then, I decided to go buy a box of "reputable" factory ammo before i swapped the scope with the one from my 458 to "prove" the scope was bad.

So, I hit the range yesterday, same gun, same scope, with some 240 grain Winchester "Deer and Black bear" Soft point rounds. I set up the target at 25 yards, fired three shots, and got one ragged hole. Fired three more shots and got 2 in the same hole and one 3/8 inch off the other two. Put three rounds of the Freedom Munitions down the pipe and got 10 inch group. Three more freedom munitions and got an 8 inch group.

I did also have a few FMJ 240 grain Freedom Munitions rounds a friend gave me the night before after i described the issues to him. Long story short on them, they performed just as terrible as the XTP rounds. keep in mind, these were all "new" rounds and not remans.

Any of yall have experience with their 44 magnum loads? Keep in mind, this was out of a rifle, not a pistol, so 25 yards is about as far from "normal range" as you can get with a big bore rifle.

Thanks in advance and I hope this saves you some trouble and cash!
JB

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had read some people claiming they were "basically a half load" on their 240g fmj loads. I wouldn't be surprised if their XTP was the same. It was a pretty significant notice in recoil difference after having shot the Winchester loads

Latest posts

Top Bottom