Freeze Drying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone freeze drying food that can answer a few questions? After you buy the machine, what other items are a must have. Are the items available or usually sold out? How much additional money is needed to get it going? Do the machines need to run for a long time, and did it increase your electric bill much?

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't freeze dry but i share your questions. i would think that 02 absorbers and Mylar bags would be good but not absolutely necessary? i would think that if you already have canning jars and lids that you could use a jar in place of the bag??? ziplocks would probably work short time??? if you had enough even a food grade bucket and some dry ice to expel the 02??? another avenue is if you already can stuff is to just dig a root cellar so the jars don't freeze and break. i still remember how to cure meat so that is another avenue. i suggest getting a bunch of stock salt.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad has ran his 24/7 since buying it 10 or so years ago. He's done a bunch of mods to it, primarily with oil filtration and the pump. He has mentioned that running it 24/7 his electric bill went up roughly $40/month (FWIW, he lives in Utah).

Supplies are going to be your biggest "buy it now" items until you know what mechanical changes you'll want to make. If you do Facebook, there is a very helpful group, Betty's Harvest Right Freeze Dryer Group.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The length of time it runs depends on the moisture content and how much food is put on the trays. I suggest getting extra trays and the silicone mats. Makes clean up easier.

The mylar bags that harvest right sells are the best quality I have found. I like the fact that their O2 absorbers are 10 to a bag. You can reseal the bags on a low setting with the impulse sealer.

Get some totes to put your sealed food in to keep critters from chewing into it.

Extra vacuum oil and filters. Stay away from the dyi toilet paper junk for filtering.

Treemansam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guy I know runs his 24/7 and saw about $100 increase in electricity. One batch (max 8 lbs before drying) takes about 24 hours so it’s totally worth it. What one cycle of beef is over $160 bought online! He has a medium harvest right bought from Jones hardware because they stock them (although they sell before they hit the floor). Standard pump medium machine was $2700.
Mylar and o2 absorbers are a plus but it’s not going to matter because your probably going to be using the food very soon at this rate. Haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom