Freeze Drying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone tried it?
We watched a couple videos last night - expensive to get started but it looks like it might be worth it.
I have . I do it for preserving food that I don't have freezer or cabinet space for. Is everything going to be as good as fresh/ frozen? No I don't expect it to be. But I know how it was grown, harvested and preserved.
Now you have to realize I try to produce as much as our food as possible. We haven't bought anything in the meat, produce department in grocery stores in years. .
I have 2 medium freeze driers and have had a few breakdowns. Currently one is not reading temperature or vacuum correctly. I just hate calling them since it is out of warranty and they suck with the way you have to deal with. They never diagnosed my issues when under warranty .

Last time I ordered the relay board and it took months and a couple calls to finally get it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have . I do it for preserving food that I don't have freezer or cabinet space for. Is everything going to be as good as fresh/ frozen? No I don't expect it to be. But I know how it was grown, harvested and preserved.
Now you have to realize I try to produce as much as our food as possible. We haven't bought anything in the meat, produce department in grocery stores in years. .
I have 2 medium freeze driers and have had a few breakdowns. Currently one is not reading temperature or vacuum correctly. I just hate calling them since it is out of warranty and they suck with the way you have to deal with. They never diagnosed my issues when under warranty .

Last time I ordered the relay board and it took months and a couple calls to finally get it.
Harvest Right?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@THAT Gurl does as well. We ourselves couldn't see the investment as one that would come out of the red. So it's old school dehydrate for us.
Yeah, I'm on the fence... but we do dehydrate, can, etc...

And she is getting more into the gardening "prepper" mentality, so this looked pretty cool to her. It's definitely a project I'd love to get behind her on.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you that it is night and day difference in dehydrated and freeze dried.
The freeze drier does put out quite a bit of heat so you will want a place to keep it relatively cool. The onboard computer will throw some warnings on the screen. It says it will take longer to dry but my experience is the complete opposite.

You don't really know how long you can expect it to run through the cycle as the time was misleading and new updates removed it from the screen.

While in warranty if you have problems you'll be instructed to download the files and email them to the technician after scheduling a call with one. From there the technician will say they will look at it and you'll wait for a answer or be told to run all the function tests that you have already done.

Once out of warranty you'll be paying for the technician that may or may not tell you what you need. You'll be transferred to someone in parts that won't know anything.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you that it is night and day difference in dehydrated and freeze dried.
The freeze drier does put out quite a bit of heat so you will want a place to keep it relatively cool. The onboard computer will throw some warnings on the screen. It says it will take longer to dry but my experience is the complete opposite.

You don't really know how long you can expect it to run through the cycle as the time was misleading and new updates removed it from the screen.

While in warranty if you have problems you'll be instructed to download the files and email them to the technician after scheduling a call with one. From there the technician will say they will look at it and you'll wait for a answer or be told to run all the function tests that you have already done.

Once out of warranty you'll be paying for the technician that may or may not tell you what you need. You'll be transferred to someone in parts that won't know anything.
Welp, you've pretty much talked me out of it. Not a fan of poor CS, or having to download anything. I'm old, and I like stuff that I turn "on", it runs, then I turn it "off".

Wife's more computer/electronic literate, I'll let her figure it out.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I haven't called to order parts yet. I don't know if it's the sensors (2) or the part (?) That translates the info. I replaced the relay board for another problem earlier and don't know if it is bad again or if it's the board on one of the sensors. They both share the port to the vacuum chamber but have separate wires but tie into the relay board.
I hate downloading stuff too and hate talking on the phone just as much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom