The Pacific

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone watch this? I watched the first episode last night when I could not sleep. Seemed awfully jumbled with no real story line to it. If you have seen it, does it get better? Right now I might watch one more to see if it improves and if not I will watch Band Of Brothers again.
Yes, I have watched it several times. It gets better everytime that I watch it.

It helps if you read the books. They are a great read.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have watched several episodes now. It is not nearly as good as BOB but I do admit to being impressed with how period correct the weapons are. I know a lot of it is CGI but the Japanese tanks look correct and I am pretty sure I even saw a Reising M50 in one early episode. Even the Jap machine guns look correct and there are very few of those left around.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been enjoying it as well these past several days. BoB was epic in it's storytelling, as you could follow Easy Company across Europe. It isn't so with The Pacific, but still good to watch.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just watched the first six episodes of The Pacific, this week. Agree with most of the other posts about comparing it to Band Of Brothers. Do like eyeballing the small arms the Marines are carrying. The bare bones Thompson smgs, no compensators, barrel cooling fins. The old gunnery Sgt. is entertaining. The casual interaction between the Lt. and the ncos’ and the privates is interesting to me. Different from boot camp and garrison life, it seems. That mortar tripod and baseplate looks miserable to hump around. How much ammo to feed it could a platoon carry? Was it a 60MM?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is a 60 and I think they had 4 ready rounds plus others following.
Another show called The Liberator about the 45th. I will watch it when I finish BOB.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was a great series. It wasn't BOB, but the pacific wasn't Europe either. :D BOB was on another level of shows that I'm not sure that can be touched.

Also, if you're feeling WWII era, give Downfall a watch...... or rewatch if you've already seen it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom