From one "Oklahoma Shooter" to "Another" near Bennington, Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe a lot of sites that have a drilling rig set up on them are "weapon free" zones, per company policy, either the exploration company (Devon, Apache, Chesapeake, etc) or the drilling company (H&P, Nomac, etc) or both. Even after the rigs are gone a lot of production companies or gas pipeline companies won't allow guns in company trucks.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about any pipeline I've drilled for forbids any weapons on their property. I think it's mostly a liability-limiting thing. I drilled for one bunch down near the border. The company man, after he got comfortable with me, asked me "you did bring a gun, didn't you?" I replied, "Sir, we're not permitted to have weapons on company property." He said "If you didn't bring one, knothead, I'll get one for you." Kind of rough country! I actually had two AR's, two 1911's and about a thousand rounds of ammo.

I think a lot of the folks that think up these policies have never been down in Puckerbrush, OK concerned with their captors' interpretation of "stump-broke".

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"so somebody actually had .22lr? hoarders..."

Yep! Once I dug out the bullet, I commented to the Deputy "who can afford to waste .22?" Now they're just rubbing it in!

The armor plate idea is good too, but I usually have to gauge my likelihood of running into road bandits (DOT) with whether I fuel the rig before or after I get to the job site, so the weight issue is a problem.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe a lot of sites that have a drilling rig set up on them are "weapon free" zones, per company policy, either the exploration company (Devon, Apache, Chesapeake, etc) or the drilling company (H&P, Nomac, etc) or both. Even after the rigs are gone a lot of production companies or gas pipeline companies won't allow guns in company trucks.

When I worked in New Orleans, our company belabored their no-weapons policy. To hell with them, a ton of people had firearms anyway.
Nobody's going to be working in the 9th Ward and not have a pistol.

kdh77

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_09_13_me9ynene.jpg

Oklahoma SDA laws which allow you to keep your CCW in your locked vehicle while at work trump their location regulations. I believe their was some kind of legal dispute which has forced at least Cactus Drilling to change their signage in Oklahoma.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is that it isn't one of us because any of us would have brought more caliber with us. (and yes, I know you were not inferring that it was one of us)

Latest posts

Top Bottom