GAP 45 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With moonclips, I believe you can in a .45 ACP revolver. But, the GAP round sucks compared to the ACP.

Both Glock and Springfield make GAP-only handguns. I don't know why, but they do.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is possible and I've witnessed it happening on more than one occasion. Probably not recommended though. The guys that did it got a lot of trash/burning powder/ruptured primer debris blown back in their faces.

But, the GAP round sucks compared to the ACP.

You do know that the ballistics are identical or better depending on the load right? In addition the 45 GAP's case head and web are thicker and stronger. Another plus is for the size queens with smaller hands out there: its overall length is short enough to put 45 caliber rounds in 17/22/31 sized frames. 45 GAP is a superior design to 45 ACP.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
With moonclips, I believe you can in a .45 ACP revolver. But, the GAP round sucks compared to the ACP.

Both Glock and Springfield make GAP-only handguns. I don't know why, but they do.
Could one of the reasons be to enable sales in countries countries which ban civil use of former or current military ammunition? I have been told that the old .38 super still has a following in some countries because of these bans on military type ammo.

Michael

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do know that the ballistics are identical or better depending on the load right? In addition the 45 GAP's case head and web are thicker and stronger. Another plus is for the size queens with smaller hands out there: its overall length is short enough to put 45 caliber rounds in 17/22/31 sized frames. 45 GAP is a superior design to 45 ACP.

I wasn't referring to the ballistic differences between the two rounds. I was referring to the fact that the GAP round sucks when fired out of an ACP revolver.

Used in the respective handguns they are designed for, the .45 ACP gives up about 50-100 fps to the GAP. Big whoop.

The GAP is a superior design? Sure, I'll concede that. But, the GAP damn well better be a superior design, as the ACP design is 108-years-old.

My two problems with GAP are that only two gun manufacturers make weapons for it and the ammo is hard to find on a consistent basis. At Midway, for example, there are 125 listings for ACP, compared to only 27 for GAP. If I can't find it, I can't shoot it. And with the 2012 elections coming on strong, ammo supplies will be going down faster than Paris Hilton on a coked-up Circus midget. And, that's why GAP sucks compared to ACP, IMO. YMMV.

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could one of the reasons be to enable sales in countries countries which ban civil use of former or current military ammunition? I have been told that the old .38 super still has a following in some countries because of these bans on military type ammo.

Michael
I believe that this is correct. My understanding is that the 38 Super is very popular among gun enthusiasts in Mexico for this very reason.

Latest posts

Top Bottom