Gardens 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a harvest right . Medium size .
I have a harvest right also but I got the large one.

I'm way late to the party this year but I started a pollinator garden in the front yard for the bee hive I want to put in next spring.

In the back yard I'm letting amaranth and lamb's quarter naturalize a section to feed to the chickens and eat myself. I also have dandelion and shepherd's purse. Both of those are edible also.

I planted 9 asparagus crowns but only 3 sprouted. Should be enough for the time being since I'm the only one who eats it.

My strawberries and apple trees came today so I have 25 of the 50 strawberry plants in the ground. I'll but the other 25 in the ground tomorrow and hopefully get the apple trees in over the weekend also.

I did something to my back while I was out there so I see a nap in my future. I blame you guys and your nap thread. 😉

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grow a garden because I want to be a little more independent than relying on someone else. I also want to know that there isn't any chemicals on it. We do canning, freezing, dehydrated and freeze dried preservation. We grow most of what we like to eat. I alternate things like beans, corn and cowpeas . I grow a lot of one or two and can enough to last a couple years then grow a lot of something else the next year and can enough of it to last a couple years.

Since it is just the two of us , this works for us. We live a pretty simple life.

I aspire to this life

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the pronoun minimalist comes to mind.
People foraged for food since the beginning of time.
Some have evolved into gardeners with perfect areas that I really admire for all the work that goes into them. I strived to be like them over the years with my gardens, but it's kind of fun to just throw some stuff out there and see what happens.
Last summer I got a big bag of sunflower seeds and another big bag of bird seed that is a mix of everything, put it into the drill behind the tractor to plant and see what happened.
Ended up being kind of a bust as the Johnsson grass took over and buddy wanted to kill it before it went to seed.
Don't know if the johnson grass seed was in the bagged seed or what.
I don’t know jack about farming so I don’t know how much a drill disturbs the ground, but johnson grass roots will lay dormant in the ground for a long time and if the ground is ever disturbed it will sprout right back. We dug a water line across a hay pasture that had been Bermuda for 15 years. Without a hint of Johnson grass. A straight row of Johnson grass grew up where that water line ditch was the next spring.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in trouble. I let a nephew put 5 sheep in a fenced in 1-1/2 acre fenced in pasture behind an old cow barn. He failed to tell me one of them is an escape artist. She got out and destroyed all of our Strawberry Plants!

Now she lives with a bucket tied to her and dragged around about 2 feet behind her. After the dog and I put her back in, as she would not come to a food bucket we sat and watched her and she went immediately to trying to escape. We could not find any hole. Called him and he said she was known to climb. So the bucket was attached and with in 15 minutes afterwards we heard her hollering and she was outside the fence with the bucket holding her in place! She has yet to try again. Smart little ***** she is!

I bitched a little to my nephew that let’s eat her. He said nope that she is a twin thrower. Has thrown twins each birth. So cannot blame him.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man oh man it was beautiful outside this morning. Had fresh blackberries straight off the bush this morning. I dunno why but berries picked in the cool of the morning are addictive. Have enough I could probably make a couple jars of preserves but kitchen is not quite up to par yet so I'll send them home with the subs today. Along with about 6 dozen eggs. I'd much rather send this stuff home with someone who will eat it than keep it until it spoils and then throw it out. With grocery prices what they are, every little bit helps IMHO.

I'm definitely ready to have my kitchen back though. Lol The very first thing I'm gonna make is some sourdough toast with scrambled eggs and shepherd's purse and lamb's quarter leaves sauteed in some real butter.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mrs. GED picked a few things today. She said don't look at her - she just climbed off the lawnmower. 🤣

20240525_170052.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom