Gardens 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haaaaaaaa she has the exact same identical bucket my wife uses to pick! Oh and you ugly and she pretty!

Yeah, definitely beauty and the beast.

IMG_20231224_135750.jpg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in trouble. I let a nephew put 5 sheep in a fenced in 1-1/2 acre fenced in pasture behind an old cow barn. He failed to tell me one of them is an escape artist. She got out and destroyed all of our Strawberry Plants!

Now she lives with a bucket tied to her and dragged around about 2 feet behind her. After the dog and I put her back in, as she would not come to a food bucket we sat and watched her and she went immediately to trying to escape. We could not find any hole. Called him and he said she was known to climb. So the bucket was attached and with in 15 minutes afterwards we heard her hollering and she was outside the fence with the bucket holding her in place! She has yet to try again. Smart little ***** she is!

I bitched a little to my nephew that let’s eat her. He said nope that she is a twin thrower. Has thrown twins each birth. So cannot blame him.

I sheered them sheep and the Brown ring leader was done first! Brown one is the escape artist that ate our Strawberry Plants!!

49B9063E-D9D9-40B8-AAB3-842F8614A7F0.jpeg
95D58558-EED6-4F70-966E-F12BBEED7E7D.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know jack about farming so I don’t know how much a drill disturbs the ground, but johnson grass roots will lay dormant in the ground for a long time and if the ground is ever disturbed it will sprout right back. We dug a water line across a hay pasture that had been Bermuda for 15 years. Without a hint of Johnson grass. A straight row of Johnson grass grew up where that water line ditch was the next spring.
Drills just cut a rut, drop the seed and have a trailing wheel to cover it up. Very little disturbance.
Johnson grass is a rhizome just like bermuda grass. If there is an existing crop of johnson grass and one tries to disk it, cutting the root will result in two new plants.
We bought a place on the Salt Fork River that floods occasionally. It was totally covered in johnson grass that was 8 feet high, so thick one couldn't walk through it.
Waited until it died in the fall, and burned it.
Following spring took a Grand Hami with peanut sweeps through there to bring the roots to the surface and let the sun kill them. Looked like snow on the field with all the roots on top.
A month later, went in there and did it again to bring more to the top and continued this operation for two summers.
Spraying was a waste of time as the seeds fall, lay on the ground and are not affected by the spray.
In the fall of the second summer, started planting wheat with zero johnson grass. Lots of work. Flooded again about 5 years later, and here we go again.
Gave up and use it for hunting now.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Do you water your tubs through the pipe to the bottom or from the top?

I ask as we put a 1” pipe to the bottom and they have the two 4” pipes laying at the bottom, with weed stop then topsoil and the hole out the side is at 5”. But we are having no luck on our squash.

I am of the opinion the roots are not chasing the water down deep, as I found the wife watering them from the top early in the planting.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you water your tubs through the pipe to the bottom or from the top?

I ask as we put a 1” pipe to the bottom and they have the two 4” pipes laying at the bottom, with weed stop then topsoil and the hole out the side is at 5”. But we are having no luck on our squash.

I am of the opinion the roots are not chasing the water down deep, as I found the wife watering them from the top early in the planting.
It all depends on what you use for growing media. I do both types of watering. I use promix bx in the tubs. Some of the big box bagged stuff is garbage . It will not wick up the water.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It all depends on what you use for growing media. I do both types of watering. I use promix bx in the tubs. Some of the big box bagged stuff is garbage . It will not wick up the water.

Top soil is what we put in ours. We put 3 pieces of French drain 4’ pipe in the bottom, line it with weedstop, then fill with top soil with a piece of 1” pvc pipe to the bottom. Cut a hole in the side at 5”.

I compost top soil and every three years change it out, out the used back in rotation of compost.

I think the wife is making a mistake by watering from the top when the plants start their growth. Watering from only the bottom makes the roots run to water in my opinion.

So was curious as to how others water their tubs. I will mix in some of the ProMix BX in them next year, maybe that will aid in wicking better?

Last edited:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Top soil is what we put in ours. We put 3 pieces of French drain 4’ pipe in the bottom, line it with weedstop, then fill with top soil with a piece of 1” pvc pipe to the bottom. Cut a hole in the side at 5”.

I compost top soil and every three years change it out, out the used back in rotation of compost.

I think the wife is making a mistake by watering from the top when the plants start their growth. Watering from only the bottom makes the roots run to water in my opinion.

So was curious as to how others water their tubs. I will mix in some of the ProMix BX in them next year, maybe that will aid in wicking better?
You actually have your hole in the wrong place. If you are using 4" pipe, your hole should be 3" from the bottom. You want a 1" air gap to self prune the roots so the plant doesn't get root rot. You want about 30% around the pipe to allow wicking.

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is what i have went with, last year used plastic jugs and bottles, had fair results. this year 4" corrugated pipe.
did not like results last year. have not started watering with pipe yet, been getting to much rain. Will probably start this week using the fill pipe. I think the corrugated pipe will lead to better root structure

Latest posts

Top Bottom