GEN 4 Glock 19 report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello guys.

Just traded my Springfield XD45 compact for a 4th generation Glock 19 at Big Boys. Took the pistol to the Heartland outdoor range and ran about 350 rounds of various El-cheapo 9mm's. Unsurprisingly, I did not have one hiccup, and the pistol seemed to group fabulously at 5,7, and 10 yards.

Several years ago, I had a Generation 2 Glock 23 and while it was okay, it would hurt my hands after several rounds. The grip just didn't seem to fit, and the half-moon cut-out at the bottom of the grip would cut into my hand.
I traded it in for the XD-45 compact. It was a reliable, comfortable, and accurate pistol. However, I have been shooting alot lately, and it was getting expensive to feed.

So, I decided to trade it in and went down to Big Boys. I handled both the generation 3 and generation 4 G29's. The Generation 4 seemed to fit my hand a lot better.

The GEN4's, in case anyone doesn't know, have changable backstraps. Without the backstrap, the grip is slightly smaller than the standard GEN3 glocks. The smaller backstrap gives the gun the standard Glock grip, while the biggest backstrap gives the glock a, well, bigger than standard grip. (I prefer using no backstrap)

Also, being a south-paw shooter, it was great to see that the mag release can be easily moved to the right side on the GEN4's. (The mag release is also larger than previous glocks)

Big Boys had the Gen4 at roughly $30 more than the Gen3, However, the Gen4's come with 3 mags, instead of the two included with the GEN3, so I consider that a wash.

So far, very happy with the switch I made. Now I just need a couple of holsters and more ammo.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the review SS, I have been looking at 4th Gen Glocks and am glad to hear they are more comfortable. And I'm not positive if it will work, but I have a owb safariland holster that I used for my gen 3 G22 that I am looking to get rid of if you are interested...

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The gun was still comfortable after shooting. The texture is not as "sharp" as the glocks with the RTF frames. It seems to be a littl dialed down from those.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i thought about an od gen3, but the ability to move the mag release over to the other side put the gen4 over the top, since I shoot southpaw.

On a side note, I ran another 200 rounds of cheap WWB through it today (550 rounds total through this pistol so far) and still didn't have any hiccups whatsoever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom