Getting a Kindle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apple haters. LoL

I had a Kindle, and have an ipad. I read on it all the time. I also surf the web, listen to music, watch movies, play games, check email, etc... It's not a "terrible recommendation". It's something to consider.

You will find certain books that a given bookstore doesn't carry. With all 3 apps (B&N, Amazon, and Apple)... no problem. It also allows you to compare prices on the same book.

BTW, Heavy? If you can't hold an ipad because it's too heavy, stay away from hardback books too.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a terrible recommendation for someone looking for an e reader. It doesn't work very well at all as an e-reader. Just because it'll do other stuff doesn't make it good advice. You can get laptops cheaper (by far) and they'll do everything the iPad will do and more. You should consider getting that instead of a Kindle.

Posted from my iPhone.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haters? I have not read any "hater" posts in this thread. I currently have 6 Apple products, including an iPad, in my house. I am anything but an Apple hater, but the iPad is not a good recommendation for a PRIMARY e-reader. It is hard on your eyes, heavy, and expensive. I do use mine to read if that is my only option, but I definitely prefer not to. To each his own though.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How often does the kindle need a recharge vs the iPad. How long can you read on the iPad with wi-fi off on a charge?
The Kindle blows the iPad out of the water regarding battery life. If you have wifi turned off, you can use the Kindle for a month between charges. Two very different devices, each the best at what it does. I actually enjoy reading books on my iPhone 4 (retina display), and the updated version of the iPad is supposed to have a retina display and cameras for FaceTime, which is nice if you skype a lot like me. The new version is also supposed to offer "better mobility", whatever that means - could be thinner, lighter, or might be the much desired 7" version (crosses fingers).

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How often does the kindle need a recharge vs the iPad. How long can you read on the iPad with wi-fi off on a charge?

Actually, that's a big selling point. The screen on the e-readers only requires power when being refreshed/re-drawn and it only does that on an event and there's no backlight, whereas an LCD is constantly refreshing at a fixed rate with a backlight.

Kindle/e-reader battery life is usually measured in weeks and even months compared to hours with a standard tablet platform.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, that's a big selling point. The screen on the e-readers only requires power when being refreshed/re-drawn and it only does that on an event and there's no backlight, whereas an LCD is constantly refreshing at a fixed rate with a backlight.

Kindle/e-reader battery life is usually measured in weeks and even months compared to hours with a standard tablet platform.

Sweet, that's probably what I'd go with. Books not attached to the wall FTW.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Apple haters. LoL

I had a Kindle, and have an ipad. I read on it all the time. I also surf the web, listen to music, watch movies, play games, check email, etc... It's not a "terrible recommendation". It's something to consider.

You will find certain books that a given bookstore doesn't carry. With all 3 apps (B&N, Amazon, and Apple)... no problem. It also allows you to compare prices on the same book.

BTW, Heavy? If you can't hold an ipad because it's too heavy, stay away from hardback books too.

Kindle > iPad for reading
iPad as a primary eBook Reader is a terrible recommendation.
The iPad is heavier. The iPad weighs three times as much as a Kindle, and the battery doesn't last nearly as long as a Kindle.

I can say without a doubt that I can drop any of my e-Ink readers face down on the tile floor here from 6ft and they will all continue to function just fine. You can't say that about any Apple hardware.

Latest posts

Top Bottom