Getting a Kindle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ran across this article today.

http://www.investorplace.com/24258/apple-ipad-vs-amazon-kindle-e-reader-market/

Impact of the Apple iPad vs. the Amazon Kindle on the e-Reader Market
The Amazon Kindle (47%; down 15-pts) is hanging on to a rapidly diminishing lead over the Apple iPad (32%; up 16-pts) among current e-Reader owners. However, the iPad’s share of the overall market has doubled since the last time ChangeWave surveyed e-Reader owners in August.

While both devices are highly rated, three-in-four iPad e-Reader owners (75%) say they are Very Satisfied with their device compared to 54% of Kindle e-Reader owners.

* Amazon Kindle owners are more likely to read books on their device (93%) than iPad owners (76%).
* But iPad owners are nearly five times more like to read Newspapers and Magazines than their Kindle counterparts, and 15 times more likely to read Blogs and News Feeds.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ran across this article today.

http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2010/0...le-ipad-nyc-new-york-contest-flowers-twitter/

Check It Out, BFFs! Justin Bieber Loves His iPad Almost As Much As YOU Love Justin!
Justin Bieber, 16, surprised a fan June 3 with a bouquet of flowers and a special song just for her! “Lauren in Rochester is the girl who won,” Justin tweeted after picking up flowers from a florist in NYC. “She was real cool and we even did an interview 2gether that will b on Entertainment Tonight i think.” We’re sure Lauren was really surprised — but here’s what surprised US: Justin toting around his brand-new Apple iPad! Who knew Biebs was so into gadgets? We think it’s about time he gets his own app!

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really care to read the previous 5 pages, but i have an ipad and it's not bad to read on. I read multiple books on it and it doesn't bother me.

One advantage i can think of is that the ipad puts off it's own light, so you can read it in the dark. Not sure if the kindle can do that. It's nice because i can read without having the light on keeping the first lady awake.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One advantage i can think of is that the ipad puts off it's own light, so you can read it in the dark. Not sure if the kindle can do that. It's nice because i can read without having the light on keeping the first lady awake.

The kindle can't do that, but those lights that clip onto a book work on the Kindle and they're like $15. Which is far less than the difference between the cost of a Kindle and the cost of an iPad.

Reaction score
Which one should i get and what is the difference?

The best one - it's called a Nook, and is from Barnes and Noble.

The iPad is not a true e-reader, in the sense that they were originally designed -- to not be hard on the eyes from the backlight. There are several good brands of e-reader from Nook, Kindle, Sony, & others - but the Nook has the best features overall. Veggie Meat is right on - it's about the reduced eyestrain - the Ipad (LCD screen) can't do that.

But why get the Chevy (Kindle) with No touch screen & No color when the Cadillac (Nook) with touchscreen, 3G, & color is only a smidge more, or even less than the 3G Kindle if you get the no-color version?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1.html

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But why get the Chevy (Kindle) with No touch screen, No color, and No 3G, when the Cadillac (Nook) with touchscreen, 3G, & color is only a tiny smidge more, or even less than the 3G Kindle? It's a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

Has the Nook gotten better? Last year when we were shopping for an eReader for my sister-in-law, the Nook seemed brittle and not very intuitive. The Kindle seemed like a better made product and was easier to use.

Now I'm shopping for one for my wife. Is the Nook worth giving a second look now?

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom