Girlfriend's Grandfather

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My girlfriend's grandfather passed away early last week. I never got to meet the man, but I wish that I had. I spent the majority of my day today at his house, helping her family sort through his stuff.

He was the epitome of a gun nut. Born in Colorado Springs, probably learned to shoot when he was 3. He spent six or so years on the US Army shooting team. His shop was FULL of trophies and medals he earned at NRA competitions. I'm not too familiar with scoring, but 199 seemed to be a common number for him if you know what I mean.

Most of our efforts today were spent cataloging his 150+ guns. I could get into detail, but there are just so many to talk about. He had a fully equipped machine shop, so whenever he didn't like something about a gun, he made it new. Not even kidding, there were some guns that he made every single part of.

One gun that struck me was a .219 Zipper. Strangest looking gun I've ever seen. He also had a thing for .32-20s and .22 Hornets. There's a Ruger Model 1 and 77/22, both in immaculate condition, never shot.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures here soon. But, ladies and gentlemen, spend some time with the people like this in your life. Our culture, and society in general, lost a great man last week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom