Glock 17 Gen2/3 Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig46

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello all.
First post and I need HELP. I took in a Glock 17 on a trade a few years ago. At first I paid no attention to it. Long story short, it has both Gen 2 and Gen 3 features. It has 2 pins and the half moon cut on grip like the Gen 2s. And it also has finger grooves and acc rail like the Gen 3s. I have searched and asked around and have no real answer. I was told it was an FBI trade in, but I believe FBI carried G22s in the Gen 2-3 era. I hope I can get some answers. I know Glock made/makes small batches here and there for specific agencies per request. I don't really care about which agency had it, I'm more curious about why this exists, how many exist, and if it's worth anything above market value. I have no intention of selling as of right now, I just find it odd that I have this "hybrid" Gen 2/3. I was given this "LE/GOVT ONLY" mag with date 9.13.94 with the firearm. Could have come with it from factory, could be a random one. Who knows.

Attachments

• IMG_20230413_081653368.jpg
    IMG_20230413_081653368.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230413_082406161.jpg
    IMG_20230413_082406161.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230413_082711337.jpg
    IMG_20230413_082711337.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s a straight Gen 3. No real value over any other Gen 3 out there. Without it being marked for a specific department, zero more dollars in value.

As you said, who knows…. GLOCK won’t be able to provide you if it was made for a specific agency either.

Without box, manuals, accessories probably a little less then “market!”

Regards,

Pig46

New to the site!
Reaction score
It’s a straight Gen 3. No real value over any other Gen 3 out there. Without it being marked for a specific department, zero more dollars in value.

As you said, who knows…. GLOCK won’t be able to provide you if it was made for a specific agency either.

Without box, manuals, accessories probably a little less then “market!”

Regards,
Awesome! That's all I really wanted to know. With that being the case, I'm probably going to do some work and "Gucci" it out.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is nothing really special from what you shared. Early Gen 3 G17s were 2 pin. Later were 3 pin. The notch in the front of the mag well was a carryover from the Gen 2. “I believe“ it left not too long after the 3 pins appeared. By the time the Gen 3 RTF2s were released they all had 3 pins.
I have Gen 3s the different variations.

All of the above is G17 specific.

The problems with the 2 pins didn’t not reveal itself in small frame guns until the 40 S&W was released and it was never an issue with the 9mm. I would bet the only reason later Gen 3s changed was to reduce the number of parts needed. The large frame (20/21) guns always had 3 pins. The first G22 Gen 2s had 2 pins and the problem surfaced pretty early and was changed to a 3 pin before the end of the first year. I know there was a push in the LE world to swap existing guns in the field for 3 pin versions. I’m sure there may be a few 2 pin G22s out there.

Gen 5s went back to a 2 pin in everything. Even my G20 and G21 have 2 pins.

Here is an example of a 3 pin with the notch that I could put my hands on fairly quickly. Disregard the extra holes. ;)
IMG_3167.jpeg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The LE post 1994 magazines are very common.
What is less common is the boxes marked with the various versions of magazines that happens at the same time. This one was rebuilt, but even new ones might have a 1 10rd mag and 1 pre-law mag. Below are a few variations of the mags in that period. Note the U burnt into the one sample.
Some bright person at Glock figured out all these pre-94 guns were out there in agency hands with tons of extra magazines. They talked them into upgrading their inventory with new guns and magazines and trading in the old ones. This brought in a ton of inventory to freshen up and resale at very good profits.
IMG_3169.jpeg

IMG_6234.jpeg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a g20 with finger grooves and no rail lol from what I read about it alot of people just call those gen 2.5s. Only one I've seen in person
Glock didn’t really assign/acknowledge generations until the Gen 4 was released. These were simply”newly added features” because they already had perfection with the Gen 1. LoL But yes, that is what is commonly called a G2.5. It is also specific to the large frame guns if I remember correctly. 20/21/30/29 If a frame needed to be replaced on a Gen 1, they replaced it with a Gen 3 frame that had the new features.

i think this would be a complete set of 21s. I don’t believe there would be ambi or RTF2 in the 20s, and they are both uncommon in the 21s.

G21.2
G21.2.5
G21.3
G21.3SF
G21.3SF ambi
G21.3RTF2
G21.4
G21.5

Jgreen30

Marksman
Reaction score
The guy on the left was born in Muskogee, the guy in the hat was born in Miami, OK. They all live in Kansas City now. You'll miss a good one if don't make.

Glock didn’t really assign/acknowledge generations until the Gen 4 was released. These were simply”newly added features” because they already had perfection with the Gen 1. LoL But yes, that is what is commonly called a G2.5. It is also specific to the large frame guns if I remember correctly. 20/21/30/29 If a frame needed to be replaced on a Gen 1, they replaced it with a Gen 3 frame that had the new features.

i think this would be a complete set of 21s. I don’t believe there would be ambi or RTF2 in the 20s, and they are both uncommon in the 21s.

G21.2
G21.2.5
G21.3
G21.3SF
G21.3SF ambi
G21.3RTF2
G21.4
G21.5

Yeah I bought it mainly for the barrel and didn't even notice it didn't have a rail until I got home lol. It was $300 and had a silencerco threaded barrel. Lucked out and knew the guy that traded it in and got the stock comped barrel for it also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom