Glock 17 Gen4 Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was able to put some more rounds through it yesterday, but the round count is still low at around 300. What can I say? Life's been busy. I plan to get some more shooting in this week over spring break.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2934.jpg

Initial impressions:
Grip/Backstrap: The new grip width without any backstraps is very, very nice! I never had an issue with Gen3 Glocks, but this new "SF" Glock 9/40 frame feels great in the hand.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2940.jpg

Grip Texture: The texture is good. I think it is a good compromise between those who thought the Gen3 was too slick and those who thought the RFT2 was too rough. I personally like olyeller's rough texture that I have on my G26 more than the Gen4, but different strokes for different folks.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2978.jpg

As a factory gun, I think the Gen4 texture is a good balance.

The other thing of note is the mag release. It is ambidextrous and it is huge. I like it, but I don't know if I like it more than the Gen 3 Vickers extended. I think if Vicker's decided to make something like the Gen3 for the Gen4, I'd buy it. This mag release still has the typical Glock sharp edges. Overall though, great improvement on the mag release.

Internal Differences: The biggest thing of note of course is the dual recoil spring. The larger recoil spring also means a different barrel and slide.
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2952.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2954.jpg

The other most obvious change is the different trigger bar. They switched to what I believe is the G37 trigger bar. You'll note the bulge on the right hand side of the part that presses against the FP safety. I found that it made for a better feeling trigger. It keeps the trigger bar in the same position as it moves across the FP safety, whereas the other trigger bars would shift slightly towards the edge. One other thing about this new trigger bar, I have to make sure that the firing pin is in the forward position in order to get the slide to go back on the frame during reassembly.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2957.jpg

I have also noticed a bit of unusual wear with the plating on the top part of the trigger bar. The stock trigger was better than I remember stock Glock triggers, but it has honestly been a very long time since I've played with stock Glock triggers that I honestly can't make a good comparison. I didn't keep the stock stuff in there for long. Nevertheless, the trigger is excellent now that I installed Wolff springs, the Ghost Rocket, and did a polish job.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2961.jpg

Shooting:
I had some guys out at Banner yesterday with a Gen3 G17 do a side by side comparison, and all agreed that there was a noticeable difference in recoil. The Gen4 is much softer in recoil and is very flat shooting. I shot it yesterday as accurately as I used to shoot with my CQB. I am continually amazed at how flat the recoil is on this gun. I forgot to take any pictures or video when we were shooting it yesterday, but I'll be sure to add some later.

I just picked up my Warren sights yesterday and installed them this morning. I went with the Warren Tactical 2-dot tritium sights. My previous Warren setup was a Green FO front with a plain black rear. My initial impression just from dry firing with these sights is that I'll prefer this setup more.

The rear tritium is barely noticeable during the day due to it being out of the way and below the bright white outline on the front sight. In darker areas, the single yellow rear dot over the brighter green front sight works great for establishing a fast sight picture. Those are my initial impressions mind you. I have yet to put rounds downrange with this particular Warren setup.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2942.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2944.jpg

So that's my review. In sum, I think this is the best Glock I've ever shot, handled, or owned. Once I receive my CCC Looper, I'll start carrying it regularly.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v396_jaronhudgins_Firearms_CRW_2951.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom