Glock 21 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a 2nd gen. Glock 21, no light rail and no finger grooves, and have a question about the mags not dropping out when you hit the release button.

Is there a way to open up the inside of the grip or something that will allow the mags to drop free. I got 3-13round mags with the gun and none of them will drop out on their on unless they are loaded.

Help me all you Glock guru's.

hunter966

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You probably have older mags. I don't if this applies to all Glock models, but the older 21's didn't have drop-free mags. Get new mags and your problem should be solved. There a way you can tell. It has to do with how the mag is notched, but I don't remember the details. You can google it, I'm sure.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocks were not originally designed for the magazines to drop free. When they became popular for law enforcement, this was a major complaint. Drop free magazines were created and metal lined.

As stated earlier, by looking at the magazine from the rear, a non drop free magazine will have a "U" shape at the top of the magazine.

A drop free magazine will have a square bracket shape l_l at the top of the magazine.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at the top back of the mag and the plastic is u shaped but the metal lip or liner is |_| shaped. If you look at the shell holder windows you can see it is metal lined also.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a drop free magazine. Glock magazines do not drop out in a hurry like 1911 magazines. They seem to take their sweet time, but they drop out without being pulled out on their own.

The old non drop free you had to pull out of the magazine well with your non-shooting hand.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They will come out if when you press the mag release you jerk your hand up real quick. I might take it with me to the gettin store and see if a brand new one does the same or not.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help fellas. I looked at all of my mags and 2 are not drop free and one is, I found that if I press the mag release in a little further than normal and kind of jerk my hand up they all come out about the same.