glock 23 rtf or xd 9mm sub compact

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool I'm going to do that then and that's what I was thinking about the glock I wanted the most reliable gun that I could get but I have tiny hands and the glock's are more then a handful for me thanks for the input Guy's keep safe and God bless

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're definitely on the right track if you rent the guns. I'll give a nod in the glock direction. I had a 2nd gen and just picked up a 3rd gen G23 and I love them both. I have fired an XD before, not a 9mm but .45, and I didn't like the feel of the grip personally. Like everyone else said, it's all about personal preference.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you go with the glock and dont like it you sure wont have a problem selling it, theres alot of people that cant live without buy'n just one of em...:D

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing that pulls me towards the glock is that u can change the caliber is this possible with the xd? ??

You can purchase caliber conversion barrels for a XD .40 subcompact, including 9mm and .357 SIG, just as you would have to purchase a Glock in .40 (22, 23, 27) to change barrels in it. Popular manufacturers of conversion barrels are EFK Firedragon or Storm Lake (sold direct or through Pistolgear).

General rule of thumb is that you easily can go down, but not up.

I also find it interesting that you are comparing the Glock compact with the Springfield subcompact. Any reason you aren't looking as the XD Service (4" barrel) or the Glock 27?

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank u cards81fan for all the info the reason I'm not going full size is because I'm a small Guy 5"6 130 and it is extremely hard for me to conceal a full size gun in the summer months in the winter it wont be a problem and I will be carrying my 1911 but for now I need Something that is small but not pocket pistol small I would consider other's those are just the the too that caught my attention

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank u cards81fan for all the info the reason I'm not going full size is because I'm a small Guy 5"6 130 and it is extremely hard for me to conceal a full size gun in the summer months in the winter it wont be a problem and I will be carrying my 1911 but for now I need Something that is small but not pocket pistol small I would consider other's those are just the the too that caught my attention

I just want to further clarify that the Glock 19/23 (compact) is the same general size as the 4" (or Service) XD. A Glock 26/27 is comparable to the XD subcompact. The true fullsize Glocks (17 and 22) are most comparable to a XD Tactical (5").

That said, I own the XD40 Service and a Glock 26. The Service or Compact size is no easier to conceal than a 1911 in my opinion; grip is similar in length, barrel and slide is only marginally shorter, and the gun is a bit thicker. If you are looking for a perceivable difference in the size of the gun, I would go XD subcompact or Glock 26/27.

I chose the Glock because 1) the overall height is more than a half-inch shorter (4.17" versus 4.75") than the XD, and 2) I found a great deal on a gently-used 26 with Trijicon night sights. It is worth noting that the taller XD subcompact in 9mm carries 30% more ammo than a Glock, with a flush-fit magazine (13 to the Glock's 10), and some people prefer the XD grip safety (you may, being a 1911 shooter) and the accessory rail.

Personally, I was not concerned about the grip safety or the rail on a small, concealed pistol.

I feel the weapons are equal, but different enough that some people prefer one over the other. My preference changes depending on what size class we are talking about.