Glock fan boy acquiring S&W M&P

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nynwyr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a little research I discovered that the Meprolight ML-11766 is of a Henning Wallgren battle hook design and is intended to cover the POI with the front dot. I was the issue with low impacts, however I got my act together now. These sights will print exactly where the front dot is. I ran 150 rounds through my M&P 9 last night. Creating a series of 3" ragged holes @ 10 yards. I am very happy with this pistol and I am planning to carry it when my holster gets here. Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nynwyr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here I am a set of self luminous sights, Apex PEK kit, Crimsom Trace laser grip, M&P9C with Trijicon HD sights and Crimson Trace Laser grip and 1000 rounds later. Great guns I love them both very accurate and robust however, the fling with the Smith & Wesson M&P's is over. My G17 is still my daily carry (its lighter to) and both of my M&P's sit in the pretty little nylon case i bought for them. I gotta go I here a FNS9L calling my name somewhere.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol

Is it just the weight that caused you to go back to your G17?

I recently bought a G22 and finally got to take it to the range last weekend... it seemed much better to me than I remembered from shooting the G22 years ago. I was pretty happy with it, and was able to group 5 rounds inside of about 5" (the "neck/throat" region of a target) at around 25 yards. I was pretty happy with that. The reason I shot that way was because I had 5 rounds of JHP leftover and my target was mostly used-up. Chest and head were pretty well shot out, so I chose the "neck" as an arbitrary aiming point for my slow, aimed, distance-fire test.

I've handled a number of M&Ps, but never fired one. Although nowadays I find myself considering Glocks a helluva lot more than I used to.

I really need to take this out with my Para 1911 Commander with all the Wilson internals and the match barrel and such and see how things stack up. I am finding myself carrying the Glock more and more... harder to conceal, but in OK that doesn't matter anymore, and having 16 rounds of .40 - 31 with an extra mag in the pocket - is nice... Even 2 extra mags for my Para will only give me 25 (assuming my 8-round Wilsons). It's not as comfy in the hand as the 1911s, but... it does have a lot going for it.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember the Glock you bought from the used gun thread. I got a very similar gun at about the same price point from J&G. Love it. Very, very accurate. Didn't think I would like .40, but I do. Gun is accurate and ammo is plentiful. Carry the gun OWB in a bravo concealment holster under a button up shirt. Really couldn't be happier with it. Love the trigger. First time I shot it and put a mag in a fist size hole at 10 yard I knew I had a good one.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I'm going to hurt some feelings here but, here it goes.
I gave up on S&W years ago when I sold my 669. After I had to remove the magazine safety, I found out that it was not capable of shooting normal ammo like NATO or CIP spec.
I called S&W and they verified that their pistols are not good enough to shoot what the rest of the world shoots, SAAMI only and not much +P.
I can understand not supporting the +P+ ammo given that it is not an official specification and somebody might do stupid things, even though it is a well known fact that the +P+ made by firms like Winchester (Ranger) are perfectly safe in firearms made to use ammo other than SAAMI.
If I need a 9mm pistol, I will get a Glock or any other 9mm pistol built to European standards not the joke SAAMI is. Even the little G26 Glock (an amazing pistol) and the tiny SIG P290 are capable of handling military ammo but not the full size M&P.
Are you kidding me?
I can tolerate a PM9 Kahr being restricted to lower power ammo, as small as it is, gotta compromise but not a full size 9.
My Glocks get any ammo I can find, SAAMI, CIP, NATO. G34, G17, G26, no problem, just feedem anything you got including +P+.
It is also known that Glock 9mms work better with the hot stuff and don't really care for the low power ammo. IOW what you want in a self defense pistol.
A pistol should not wear out or break using normal ammo such as NATO 9mm.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings, everyone has an opinion. Glock themselves say they recommend ammo that meets SAAMI or industry standards and that some +P meets those standards and most +P+ does not and any ammo that doesn't meet SAAMI or industry standards may "shorten the component life of your firearm". S&W's manual says +P may cause the need for more frequent servicing and no +P+ because it's not regulated.

Now if you go to Buffalo Bore's website and look at the +P and +P+ ammo and what guns not use it this one in or that one in you'll find that the +P and +P+ ammo is safe in most modern guns with the exception of +P .40 S&W which should not be used in Glocks because the chamber isn't fully supported and can't handle it while all other caliber Glocks are fine. My point being that S&W is notorious for limiting the power of ammo used in their guns for legal reasons not because they are weak. Even my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum has a much lower "limit" than it's capable of handling.

Owner's have been shooting +P and +P+ in their M&P's since they came out with no problems. There's going to be additional wear with any ammunition hotter than standard regardless of the gun. The M&P is just as capable as Glock, the only difference being S&W is a little legal shy and protect their behind better (from a legal aspect). The only gun out of the two brands that has ever been shown to have a weakness was the .40S&W Glock which doesn't have a fully supported chamber and is not capable of safely handling hotter than standard ammo (ironic huh).

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings, everyone has an opinion. Glock themselves say they recommend ammo that meets SAAMI or industry standards and that some +P meets those standards and most +P+ does not and any ammo that doesn't meet SAAMI or industry standards may "shorten the component life of your firearm". S&W's manual says +P may cause the need for more frequent servicing and no +P+ because it's not regulated.

Now if you go to Buffalo Bore's website and look at the +P and +P+ ammo and what guns not use it this one in or that one in you'll find that the +P and +P+ ammo is safe in most modern guns with the exception of +P .40 S&W which should not be used in Glocks because the chamber isn't fully supported and can't handle it while all other caliber Glocks are fine. My point being that S&W is notorious for limiting the power of ammo used in their guns for legal reasons not because they are weak. Even my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum has a much lower "limit" than it's capable of handling.

Owner's have been shooting +P and +P+ in their M&P's since they came out with no problems. There's going to be additional wear with any ammunition hotter than standard regardless of the gun. The M&P is just as capable as Glock, the only difference being S&W is a little legal shy and protect their behind better (from a legal aspect). The only gun out of the two brands that has ever been shown to have a weakness was the .40S&W Glock which doesn't have a fully supported chamber and is not capable of safely handling hotter than standard ammo (ironic huh).

Still, S&W doesn't think that NATO ammo is OK in their firearms. That's like buying an AR-15 that cannot shoot 5.56 mm NATO ammo. Not having gone through any certification in Europe like Sig or Glock, it means that they are only certified to shoot US SAAMI ammo. We are they only ones to go by that weak spec. The rest of the world goes by the European CIP and NATO.
I have in my hands the latest Glock manual. Page 12 and 17 from the Glock manual states: Warning Do not use reloaded......it may not meet applicable SAAMI,CIP, or NATO standards....... It also states that any commercially manufactured ammo is OK which by the way would include +P+, anything in the correct caliber. My kind of pistol.
As far as the .40 goes, you are partially correct, the case support in a Glock was not very good, years ago. I don't remember the exact year when it changed but it did and the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks are great in .40.
I wonder if S&W is even allowed to sell a pistol in Europe.
Anyway, I use S&W revolvers, not their semi autos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom