GM employee discount??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davecaris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been looking at a new GMC Sierra for a few months now and am about ready to pull the trigger.
But before I do, anyone here have an GM employee discount they won't be using? I read that both employees
and retires from GM may give away so many employee authorization numbers per year. Not sure how many, but I only need one :)

PM me if you need any personal information from me.

It's a long shot I know but dosen't hurt to ask.

Thanks guys!

David

Last edited:

BlackRifle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm retired from G.M.,and I have never heard of that. As far as I know,only immediate family members get the discount. If what you say were true,then anyone could get a discount as long as they knew a GM employee. Where did you read this?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it can be done. Plant manager used to hand them out like chiclets. Six per month is the max, IIRC.

davecaris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I orginally heard it from a salesman but after a little reserach found that GM does allow a few employee discount authorizations gifted to friends and family.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ford calls its "friends and family" discount program the X Plan, and I'm almost certain that GM has something similar. There are other plans for employees and for their dependents (f'rinstance, I think Ford's A Plan is for their employees), but the employees have a certain number of X Plan PINs that they can give to pretty much anyone they choose. I used one to buy my Lincoln back in '06; I never actually met the employee who got me the PIN, as a friend who'd just left Ford to go work for Getrag arranged it with a former co-worker.

If you'll go to some of the GM-related forums, particularly ones where GM employees hang out, you can probably find a sub-forum where you can request a PIN for their X Plan equivalent. There are also organizations who can provide them to their members--I'm told by pilots I know that the EAA (IIRC, or maybe AOPA?) includes Ford X Plan PINs as a membership benefit.

I don't know about GM's version, but you can sometimes negotiate a better deal than you can get with the X Plan, depending on the vehicle (its biggest advantage is Ford sets the price, so there's no haggling), and there are Plan rules which you must follow. A big one for the X Plan is that you have to tell the dealer up front you'll be using an X Plan PIN, and another is that dealers are not required to honor X Plan pricing--and not all vehicles are X Plan eligible.

Best of luck!

davecaris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it.
SoonerP226, I really appreciate the information, I might
Try the gm-trucks forum, although I have only posted there
A few times, it's a great forum. I hadn't posted this question there yet just because
I have not contributed to the forum very often.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GMS and GDS (GM emplyee or Dealer employee) can only be used by the eligible party and direct family and are limited to six per year. GSU and GCU (GM Supplier and Credit Union Member) discounts qualify for Supplier pricing and while not as deeply discounted as employee pricing, they still represent a significant savings.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Goodyear belongs to X plan.
I have yet to talk an internet salesman that didn't do better than the X plan price.
X plan is for those who can't or don't want to negotiate.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I negotiated with Joe Cooper on an Explorer that my wife decided she had to have. I went through the internet department (she found it online) and negotiated even further down than the internet price. Once we were about to pull the trigger I through in the X plan to see if I could get a further discount. The salesman showed me the X plan price and I was already 2k underneath that.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my age and experience has jaded me. I don't buy new trucks anymore. The last new one was a 91 Ranger. The sticker was $14,200. I offered $10K. Got it for $10.5K. My GM employee buddys wife just knew I was lying about what I paid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom