Gold and Silver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I agree that JUST having silver and/or gold in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation won't do much good.

Personally, though, I'd like to have some silver dollars and/or silver eagles.
Just can't find them for anything less than like 10 dollars each over spot.

And that is ridiculous.

Dave

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, congrats on the great job of prepping. Others have done a great job of answering your questions but for the price of a few ounces of gold you could buy another inflation hedge, land. Both gold and silver are too high for me. Also, if you bought several thousand rounds of ammo and it doubles in price, you can always sell it here on OK Shooter so it is very liquid from a currency standpoint pre shtf. Gold and silver are only valuable to us because someone says it is, can't eat it or otherwise live on it. Other tangibles have many more uses.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, but at least I can eat extra eggs and honey....a worthless sack of friggin nickels would be awful tough on the teeth and absolute murder coming out the other end. LOL.

Watcha gonna do when the travelin' traders come through your town with extra eggs & honey, which you want, and they are only takin' payment in nickels? You gotta think outside the box. No one is saying to put all your preps into nickels. But it would be wise to consider keepin' a small bag of nickels alongside those extra cases of toliet paper.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watcha gonna do when the travelin' traders come through your town with extra eggs & honey, which you want, and they are only takin' payment in nickels? You gotta think outside the box. No one is saying to put all your preps into nickels. But it would be wise to consider keepin' a small bag of nickels alongside those extra cases of toliet paper.

If they are only wanting gold and or silver then they are going to be starving merchants before long. Sooner or later they will have to eat themselves. THEN what are they going to do? I won't trade food stuffs/ammo/whatever for currency, and it sounds like a whole bunch of other folks won't either. AND if you allow unknowns to casually stroll through your camp you're going to be dead before you know it any way. Not good security to let strangers come and go as they please.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they are only wanting gold and or silver then they are going to be starving merchants before long. Sooner or later they will have to eat themselves. THEN what are they going to do? I won't trade food stuffs/ammo/whatever for currency, and it sounds like a whole bunch of other folks won't either. AND if you allow unknowns to casually stroll through your camp you're going to be dead before you know it any way. Not good security to let strangers come and go as they please.

As you wish. I'm gonna cover as many of my bases as possible. That's what survival is all about. Being prepared, being able to adapt and being able to take advantage of opportunities as they present themselves.

Bill Coye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A side note off subject: For investment purposes and a hedge against the deflating value of the dollar, precious metals are the way to go. Au doesn't have the same room to run as Ag does though.

The Fed announced their open-ended quantitative easing (QE3) last week and the price of PMs has already gone up.

The train hasn't left the station yet as far as silvers per oz. cost....

Do you have a favorite place where you get good deals for silver/gold?

Coin stores will sell pre-'64 "junk" silver and bullion. If you want to buy currency like American Silver Eagles be prepared to NOT make the premium back at the local coin store if you decide to sell.

IMO, 1 oz. rounds and 10 oz. bars are easiest to get rid of if and when the time comes.

Just keep stacking!

Latest posts

Top Bottom