Golden Headed or Yellow Headed Blackbird?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes you read that correctly....either a Golden or Yellow Headed Blackbird...NOT an Oriole.

Sitting in the hot tub a few minutes ago and a swarm of about 30...15/18 males and the rest females came to my bird feeders...scared the heck out of the Dove!! I've lived in Oklahoma most to all my life and I've never seen this bird before.

One time...and only one time as a kid, there was an Oriole pair that weaved a nest and hatched two chicks. That's it, I've never seen anymore Orioles since or around 1975/76.

I swear I've got to set a camera next to the hot tub to catch a few pictures of these and other birds....but no hummers,yet.

What I saw:
[Broken External Image]

wdfw.wa.gov_viewing_guides_klickitat_graphics_yellow_headed_blackbird.jpg

anyone else??

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen one of those in quite a while. They used to stop here in the spring on their way to the Dakotas, I keep looking for them. We did have a flock of Cedar Waxwings stay here for 3 days last week eating Juniper berries, they are an interesting bird too.
There are a bunch of Orioles over by Lake Oologah, I see one of those every now and then.
I noticed the Scissortails are back too.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't seen one of those in quite a while. They used to stop here in the spring on their way to the Dakotas, I keep looking for them. We did have a flock of Cedar Waxwings stay here for 3 days last week eating Juniper berries, they are an interesting bird too.
There are a bunch of Orioles over by Lake Oologah, I see one of those every now and then.
I noticed the Scissortails are back too.

Cedar waxwings are an interesting bird, their looks are unmatched and their eating habits..........................often they'll find a plant source with berries and they'll eat to the point that they can hardly fly.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad that you saw this bird. I saw one at the WinStar Golf Course this last Thursday ( 4-19-2013). I was walking along pecking at the ground right beside the road. I wanted to get my camera out and try to take a picture of it, but I had traffic coming up to the stop sign behind me, and I had to move. I told everyone in the office about it the next day. I was a really pretty bird, and I have never witnessed one in Oklahoma before. I have lived here all my life, over 50 years, and wandered the plains, creeks and hills, hunting and fishing and exploring.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they are listed as casual or infrequent visitors for Oklahoma, IIRC. I've seen them up in the Black Mesa area and one huge flock on the east side of Lawton once. They definitely get your attention.

keensaber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say that I have ever seen this particular type of bird. It is a very pretty bird though. My counterparts in the office thought it was pretty cool as well. Nice pic. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom