Gonna narrow the "EBRs" down to just two chamberings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided that I will narrow my semi-auto centerfires ("EBRs") to just two chamberings:

1. 6x45mm. Everything the 5.56x45 does, but with more oomph, using the same bolt, same mags, everything. 75 grainers going as fast as 62 grainers from a 5.56x45, and ALSO having a better BC, is a *good thing*. Don't have this one yet, but do have the platform and the mags. Just need the 6x45 barrel from Robinson for the XCR. Robinson's website says they are supposedly working on it. The chambering is available in "off the shelf" uppers from 1 or 2 companies for AR15s, if'n you're interested. Only question on this one is 16" or 18" bbl? I'm leaning toward 16". No, 18"! :) This is the SHTF rifle/chambering.

2. .260 Rem. Got this one. Good all-purpose round / gun. In the form of DPMS LR260L 18". A bit heavy, but very very versatile. This is mainly a hunter.

The following interesting (to me) and useful chamberings which I have now, or were contemplating getting, will be gone but not forgotten, from semi-autos:

1. 5.56x45 / .223 Rem
2. 7.62x39 (AK)
3. 5.45x39
4. 6.5 grendel
5. 6.8 spc
6. .243 WSSM
7. .25 WSSM
8. .50 Beowulf
9. .308 Win
10. .338 Federal
11. 6.5 Creedmoor
12. .338 Spectre
13. .500 Phantom
14. .204 Ruger
15. 10mm auto
16. 9x19mm
17. .243 Win (I believe that getting the 6x45 can quelch my desire for this chambering in an AR10 style)

Bolds I have. Italics I was seriously contemplating getting.

Now I will be getting rifles chambered in #12 and possibly#14, but in turnbolts, not semis. I also will be keeping my .223 rem (#1) turnbolt as well.

YMMV. Who wants to buy a Robinson XCR 16" 5.56x45mm barrel with birdcage flashhider? :D

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see your point, but for me, I like the ability to have a rifle that is more perfectly suited to the particular application. I currently have a 204 Ruger, a few 5.56/223's and a 308. I prefer the 5.56/223 and the 308 for the ammo availability and that they are everywhere. The 204 Ruger is just a nice varmint/predator round. I've been contemplating getting a 6.5 Grendel for hunting, too. Sure, a 308 will kill anything from Coyotes to Elk, but using the 204 for prairie dogs and coyotes, the 5.56 for coyotes and hogs, a 6.5 Grendel for hogs and deer, and the 308 for deer and elk just seems to make more sense for me.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're talkin SHTF, I would think you want something that shoots a very common round, if for no other reason than that you could use the enemy's ammo. I guess this might depend on what SHTF scenario you're contemplating (or what enemy you expect to be arming yourself against).

I guess if you hand-load, you could just make thousands upon thousands of rounds for your chosen rifles in whatever caliber you want, but are you going to lug all that ammo around with you in a SHTF scenario? You can't rely on being able to hole up in your home/retreat forever... what if you have to take it on the run and live off the land? I just think its best to have your battle rifle in a common military/police round. That makes it either 5.56 or 7.62 NATO. If you want to narrow it down to just two chamberings, there they are. One more suited for long range, one more suited for close quarters, for if you have to go about the unpleasant task of fighting in an urban setting (which you should avoid at all costs). I think if the SHTF, I would do everything I could to keep distance between myself and the enemy and only engage from long range, where they're within my effective range but I'm not within theirs, and I would rather kill than wound. So if I had to choose only one rifle, that definitely makes it a 7.62.

I probably wouldn't want 2 different types of battle rifle myself... If I was going to pick 2 rifles to take with me, one would be my M1A, and the other would be my scoped Ruger 10/22 meat getter (which can be used on 2-legged varmints too, in a pinch). You can eat GOOD off small game.

Latest posts

Top Bottom