GOP and Abortion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I will start out stating my view to avoid claims of bias in my post. I am against abortion, in that I would not choose to have one. However, I am pro-freedom in that I believe that the less government interference in our personal lives the better. So...

Given that the GOP is supposedly the "smaller government party" why are they always in favor more government regulation of peoples personal lives? Not only in abortion, but in seatbelt/helmet laws, medical or otherwise MJ laws, etc. To me, this seems like an inherent contradiction.

I guess I am not the only one to think so, because look at how this view has been helping them out in elections - pretty much all the people vocal against abortion this time lost.

I am sure that some people are going to argue morality here but: you cannot legislate someone into being a moral person, so why try? If you take a immoral serial killer and lock him up, it doesnt make him moral. If you are going to have confidence in a person making correct decisions in the economic/financial realm, then to me, it would seem that you are also going to have to have the same confidence in them making moral decisions too. If you support the free market for the sale of good, then you have to support it also in the marketplace of idea and let people choose.

I may be going out on a limb here, but it seems like to me that a party that doesnt contradict itself within its own platform might have a better chance at success.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Abortion needs to be approached by somebody sane (read - nobody in either the GOP or Democrat party who has publicly spoken on it before) in the following manner:

Abortion is not about the right to suppress a woman's right to her body anymore than it is about killing babies. It all comes down to one question:

When does life begin?

Once you answer that, there is no argument. A life originating in the US would be considered a citizen and has certain inalienable rights guaranteed by our constitution. Prior to it's being considered "a life", it has no rights (though many will joke in this thread about how technically, it could still vote democrat and that is kind of funny).

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry guys. Never works here - always, always goes downhill

Controversial topics, such as religion, abortion, retardation, racism, etc., should generally be avoided. Although these topics usually start out civil enough, experience has shown that these sort of topics can very quickly disintegrate into personal attacks and heated arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom