Firearm Question in Doctor's Office

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happens at the VA here and there. Its always fun getting looks after mentioning something about hunting to my mental health therapist, and they ask "oh, do you have guns?", to which I reply "no". I get a weird look, they ask how I'm supposed to hunt without guns, I tell them I kill things with my bare hands. Had one guy get real upset about that, claimed I lied to him about hunting pigs and coyotes with my bare hands, and we ended up getting into a yelling match. Most of the others just get weird about it.

OMAW.jpg

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When any medical person inquires about your mental condition or status, or if you have guns in the house, tell them that that is a “ BOUNDRY VIOLATION “ . That is a legal technical term, telling them to back off. Depending on your answer, it may impede your ability to owner possess firearms in the future, or a cause an unwelcome visit.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happens at the VA here and there. Its always fun getting looks after mentioning something about hunting to my mental health therapist, and they ask "oh, do you have guns?", to which I reply "no". I get a weird look, they ask how I'm supposed to hunt without guns, I tell them I kill things with my bare hands. Had one guy get real upset about that, claimed I lied to him about hunting pigs and coyotes with my bare hands, and we ended up getting into a yelling match. Most of the others just get weird about it.

View attachment 393230

I'm gonna steal this from you! 😂😂

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have been asked. We answer, "no."

After Wif being admitted to OU Med, last week, a Social worker came by. After a couple of the "safe at home" questions; she asked if I needed to be removed from the room to allow her to answer? Wif told her to ask me.
The questioning moved to depression, self harm, harming others, guns in home, access to guns, ....... Wif said to mark everything NO and ask a relevant question or get out, we don't have time or patience for this B.S.

When I connected to Wi-Fi and tried to log-in here, I get a message, "blocked site." My guess, algorithm blocking due to shoot/shooter. Made for a longer week.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had to make appointments to see the Dr about refilling certain medications. THat is when questions like that happen. I've never been asked about weapons/guns, but the question of "thoughts of self harm or depression" come about. Those questions had to be asked because of the meds and have to be asked every so often. I was on Ambien at the time and every 6 months, I had to get "evaluated" to get the refills. Been off that BS for over 2 years now!!!

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can confirm that the question started coming up about 20 years ago. My Dr. (who was affiliated with St. John's in Tulsa) asked that question--I don't recall if it was singular or plural though (gun, or guns?). We had just moved out to the then-boonies south of Tulsa, and I had "some" but said no--no firearms. Now today, I need a bigger safe...

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have been asked. We answer, "no."

After Wif being admitted to OU Med, last week, a Social worker came by. After a couple of the "safe at home" questions; she asked if I needed to be removed from the room to allow her to answer? Wif told her to ask me.
The questioning moved to depression, self harm, harming others, guns in home, access to guns, ....... Wif said to mark everything NO and ask a relevant question or get out, we don't have time or patience for this B.S.

When I connected to Wi-Fi and tried to log-in here, I get a message, "blocked site." My guess, algorithm blocking due to shoot/shooter. Made for a longer week.

We've been through a similar situation. I guess cuz cops are prone to beating their wives a doctor at OU kept giving Scott the side eye after he found out he was a Trooper. Was shuddering and stammering and finally asked Scott to leave so he could "examine me without me being uncomfortable". 😂😂😂 I'm WAY more scared of doctors -- that's why Scott goes with me. 🤷🤷

You should have seen his face when I said "Nope. That's not how this works. Whatever you have to say to me you are gonna have to say it in front of him." He FINALLY got to it. The closest he could come to asking outright was did I ever "feel uncomfortable" around Grumpy. I looked him dead in the eye and with as straight a face I've ever had said "Not as uncomfortable as most doctors make me. That's why HE is here." That guy was a waste of time. 🙄🙄🙄 And we had been told he was "the" headache guy at OU. 🙄🙄 Right ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom