car insurance wants to raise my annual mileage..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
based on data from a third party vendor.
There was discussion on this a few weeks ago about car manufacturers sending data to ins companies that they collect, maybe from satellite connections to vehicles.
This is our spare car, 2005 scion with 200k miles, seldom use it, the mileage we estimated for it was 2500 miles a year, they want to raise to to 4750.
Our documentation from service records shows 2500 is correct, and we can dispute it using that documentation, which I will.

I called and asked the rep on the 800 number what third party vendor they get their data from (this car has no satellite connection and is not connected in any way).
First she said they get it from annual state inspections; I told her OK doesn't do annual inspections, she went silent for 10-15 seconds, then asked if I was sure, I said yes.
Then she seemed to be looking into it and decided the info cam from carfax.

I went to the carfax site and you have to pay to get a report so I'm not going to do that.

So, I'll dispute it, send in the documentation, it will roll around in the system for who knows how long and MAYBE if enough people do that they'll decide carfax is not a reliable source.

My guess is most people will just ignore the notice that I got, not dispute it, and the system will roll on.

I wonder how much AI is involved in this.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i read something online (so take that for what you will) where a guy said he let his teenager drive his car and the insurance company flagged it and made them add the kid to the insurance (which obviously changed the cost). From what was said, they think that it was flagged because the kid plugged his phone into the car's system and or something similar. Basically it recognized that the kid's phone was being used primarily and that no other phones from the adults were present, hence the determination that the kid was using the car while not on the insurance for it.

Or something to that end.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i read something online (so take that for what you will) where a guy said he let his teenager drive his car and the insurance company flagged it and made them add the kid to the insurance (which obviously changed the cost). From what was said, they think that it was flagged because the kid plugged his phone into the car's system and or something similar. Basically it recognized that the kid's phone was being used primarily and that no other phones from the adults were present, hence the determination that the kid was using the car while not on the insurance for it.

Or something to that end.
Plugging your phone into any car gives your permission for that information to be used in any form.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
based on data from a third party vendor.
There was discussion on this a few weeks ago about car manufacturers sending data to ins companies that they collect, maybe from satellite connections to vehicles.
This is our spare car, 2005 scion with 200k miles, seldom use it, the mileage we estimated for it was 2500 miles a year, they want to raise to to 4750.
Our documentation from service records shows 2500 is correct, and we can dispute it using that documentation, which I will.

I called and asked the rep on the 800 number what third party vendor they get their data from (this car has no satellite connection and is not connected in any way).
First she said they get it from annual state inspections; I told her OK doesn't do annual inspections, she went silent for 10-15 seconds, then asked if I was sure, I said yes.
Then she seemed to be looking into it and decided the info cam from carfax.

I went to the carfax site and you have to pay to get a report so I'm not going to do that.

So, I'll dispute it, send in the documentation, it will roll around in the system for who knows how long and MAYBE if enough people do that they'll decide carfax is not a reliable source.

My guess is most people will just ignore the notice that I got, not dispute it, and the system will roll on.

I wonder how much AI is involved in this.

She lied once, she'll lie twice, and many more times to get her bonus.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The insurance industry isn't going to stop until they have real time monitoring of every vehicle, to raise your rates for every little perceived infraction. Where they have data gaps, they're going to estimate to their benefit, not yours.

Remember, only squeaky wheels get more grease. Just sayin...

Latest posts

Top Bottom