Got a new revolver!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a nice Dick special, I got one that looks just like it except I have a black shiney T-grip on it. Does yours have the +P proof marks on it? Mine is a 1967 model and has the +P marks. I love S&W snubbies, but there's just something about a Colt!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's a nice Dick special, I got one that looks just like it except I have a black shiney T-grip on it. Does yours have the +P proof marks on it? Mine is a 1967 model and has the +P marks. I love S&W snubbies, but there's just something about a Colt!

+P marks???

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+P proof marks designate it's ok to use 38 special +P cartridges. It' a upside down triangle with a p in it located L/H side of pistol where forward trigger guard meets merges with the frame. If you look close you can see it in the first 2 pics.
ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0144.jpg

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0146_1.jpg

ai619.photobucket.com_albums_tt280_1chas11_100_0145_1.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't clearer, maybe I can take a better closeup.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is not my quote but one I found on another forum and typical of the response when the question of +P in a DS arises-

-----------------------------

It was COLT who rated the POST-1972 shrouded barrel Detective Special for "up to" 3000 rounds of +P. and the POST-1972 shrouded barrel Cobra and Agent's for 1500 rounds of +P later changed to 1000 rounds.

The pre 1972, exposed ejector rod Colt "D" framed revolvers were NOT rated for any +P ammo at all.

-----------------------------

Having said that, SOME +P would probably be fine. Personally I never ran any thru that DS.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I don't think I'm as smart as I thought I was. I've been seaching ever since I posted and can find only +P in post 72 guns. Don't know where I got the other infromation but have always remembered it that way. Also my pistol dates to 1963-64 instead of 67, so I didn't remember anything right. Guess I should do a little research instead of remembering.
Does anyone know what the triangle with the p in it means?

Latest posts

Top Bottom