Got invited to a CCW class. Can someone tell me about them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstantChange

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A buddy of mine called me and asked if I would be interested in attending a CCW class this Saturday. He said it starts at 9:00AM and lasts about 6 hours. I believe they are doing it at the instructors home.

Is there a test you take at the end? How does the shooting part work? What distance and what accuracy do you have to have?

What is the cost to get your CCW?

As you can see, I know almost nothing about it. I've considering getting one, but was planning to learn a lot more about it before I did. This would just be a convenient opportunity.

ldmtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
State law mandates cost cannot exceed $60 for the class. You have to pay your local sheriff $25 for pic, finger print and processing. $100 to OSBI for background check.
Class is supposed to be 8 hrs.
You shoot 50 rounds at 7 yards. The only criteria is that the instructor believes that you show proper safe gun handling technique. Does not matter if you hit the target.
There is a test. Somewhere around 15 questions or so. At my class, the instructor gave it verbally to the entire class.
I think most of this is accurate -- I took minke a few years ago.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Normally, there is a fee for taking the class. It has been a long time since I took mine, but at the time it was $60 for the class. In addition to that, there is a fee of $125 that is to be submitted with the CCW application. $25 of that fee goes to the Sheriff's department for the fingerprinting and initial criminal check and the other $100 goes to the OSBI.

There is a test after the classroom section and then a trip to the range for showing one's proficiency with a firearm. If you take the course, try to do the range portion with a semi-automatic handgun. That way, when your permit arrives, you would be qualified to carry all three classes of handgun, those being derringer, revolver and semi-automatic. If you qualify with only a revolver, you would only be authorized to carry a revolver or derringer. Anyone that qualifies only with a derringer can never legally carry any other kind of handgun.

Distance is not very far, nor is there "testing" by one's accuracy with shooting. (Unless there is some reason for the instructor to disqualify if one didn't hit the target at all.)

When the class is finished successfully, you would receive a certificate showing that you had passed the class. That original certificate MUST be submitted with one's application for the CCW permit. A copy is NOT acceptable to the OSBI.

One also has to have two passport pictures taken to be submitted with the application. The application packet can be picked up at the headquarters of the OSBI at 6600 N. Harvey in Oklahoma City, or one can download the application information from the OSBI website. There should be complete instructions with the application.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like you have been lurking here a while. You came to a great site to find a lot of information and other assorted opinions. If you will search, you can pull up some older posts of specific items and circumstances to give you a lot of insight to responsible shooting and carrying. If you will read and re-read the current OK carry laws posted several places, the state of OK site is a good start. Reading that before your class could help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom