Grader Blades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice.
Did it go TING!

Looks like you have it hung solid and that will absorb the ringing.
This is the thinner stuff also.
1/2" thick.
I have a few pieces of gas cut off grader blades I picked up from a buddy that had a scrap bin.
I was there fixing a carbed chevy truck for him and got my pick of goodies :)
It actually made more of a sha-whack sound. No ring at all.

And it is hanging on a couple of ratchet strap hooks with sucker rod run through the eyes, so it swings when it’s hit.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My .243WSSM dents AR-500 steel at 100 yards with Nosler soft point 55 grain bullets so I quit shooting our range steel with that rifle.
I use the grader blade on my Horse Drawn Adams Road Patrol #4 Steel wheel road grader behind a tractor to smooth out our 3/10 mile driveway. When I got it, the blade was worn out. No telling how many hundreds of miles that piece of equipment put in before it was retired.
But new blades are available on the internet. Bolt on and back in business.
Don't know if that old alloy is the same as the new stuff.
I've eliminated the front wheels, making an adaptor so it will hitch up to the three point on the tractor.
I probably won't get to OKC to get some of that metal but interested to see how anyone that does get some can see how it resists hyper velocity ammo over 4000 fps.
(photo is ripped from the internet, but mine is the same.)

1684039735108.png

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought all the targets that the young man years ago, tried building a shooting range down by Pink. Anyone remember that? They all were AR550, nothing we have shot at them dings or makes much of a mark on them. I believe AR550 is the optimum strength for steel targets.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I found out a small piece 8x8 inch will not give the cool RING when you hit it.
I have cut them longer and now have a very loud ring to them.

I need to make time to shoot some of these myself.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot these grader blades today to see just what they are about.

50 yards and 100 yards on 3/4" thick will leave a crater NO GOOD.

I finally got around to shooting this plate. The white splash in the center is a shot of paint for an aiming point. I hung this at 200 yds and hit it with a 6mm @3100fps, top right of the paint , and a 308 @2600fps, lower right.

Each only made a splash. No dent, chip or anything.
View attachment 376217

I also shot one of these at 100 yards and punched a hole right through it.
I was shooting my 30-06 with 3,030 fps load Hornady 3031 interlock 150 gr bullet

So not 30-06 rated at all. For close in anyway.
The crater on the 3/4" stuff looks the same at 50 yards as the load that hit it at 100.

Only other weapons I took were slow cast load stuff and no need to even worry about that.

I did have this staring straight at me no angle as to not get a glancing blow on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom