Gran Torino SS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 73 Ford Ranchero on the Gran Torino chassis. It had a 351 Cleveland 4bbl and it would surprise you.

There was no such thing as a Gran Torino SS. They took a Ford name and a Chevy "SS" badge and threw them together.
I think the SS stands for Stainless Steel. We are on a pistol thread here.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya'll are crazy...plenty of '68-'74 Torinos would be classified as muscle cars. Hell, you could even get one with a 428 CJ in '68 and '69.

I don't like gimmick or themed firearms, but for some reason, I'm kinda digging the Starsky and Hutch stripe.

The ad said, “four decades.” That’s 1979. Semantics, I know, but that’s what it said ;)

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. The Starsky and Hutch stripe on the gun refers to the Gran Torino Starsky drove but neither one carried a 1911, Hutch had a Python and Starsky carried a Smith 59. Weak reference.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ad said, “four decades.” That’s 1979. Semantics, I know, but that’s what it said ;)

Gotcha Todd. For some reason the page won't load on my phone so I was spared from whatever BS their marketing department had concocted.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of the earlier Torino GT, Cobra, and Drag Pack models. My second favorite movie car would definitely be the 1972 Sport in Gran Torino. Steve McQueen's 1967 Mustang GT in Bullitt being my favorite.

Last edited:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. The Starsky and Hutch stripe on the gun refers to the Gran Torino Starsky drove but neither one carried a 1911, Hutch had a Python and Starsky carried a Smith 59. Weak reference.

Wait a second... I bought a 1911 just because that's what my favorite TV cop, Dave Starsky had? And it wasn't even the right gun?!?

Oh well... I got a 1911 out of it. Now I need to get a model 59. LOL

(Actually, I googled and found some references saying Starsky had a 1911 in the pilot episode, but a 59 through the rest of the four season series.)

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go classic Chevy is you're going to do it. Get a Bel Air.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/micro-9-bel-air

micro9_belair_flatright.png chevrolet_bel-air-convertible-1957_r6-800x445.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom