Great Salt Plains Lake is dying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ODWC will not restock because the lake has sanded in til it is 2 feet deep. It is a waste of fish. The lake bottom is literally drying up. I predict the lake will be bone dry by September 10 at the present rate of evaporation if not before.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This too shall pass. If you think about it. That's why it is the great salt plains, because an inland salt water sea dried up right in that very spot.
Dad fished it as a kid and so did I. To bad the little guy to the left might never get that chance.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up real close to the Salt Plains. Pics from today when I was there.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Drove along the lake road and you can see birds standing out in water in middle of lake. I doubt the whole lake is more than 3-4" deep. Buzzards everywhere eating fish.

Yes I believe the whole lake will be dry in another month.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not only Salt plains has died, but the fish in the Chikaskia River will soon die. The river, west, and south of Blackwell, has ceased to flow. Fish trapped in pools will soon die.

"Skiles said that on June 27 the Chikaskia River stopped flowing over the Diversion Dam, which is the only dam that Blackwell draws water from.

The Braman Dam is washed out and the gates of the Blackwell Dam do not work.

"This is only the third time in history that the river has stopped flowing over the Diversion Dam," Skiles said.

The other occurrences were in 1954 and 1980. "

http://www.poncacitynews.com/templates/342707133201554.bsp

Latest posts

Top Bottom