Guitar Making Progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some recent pictures of the acoustic guitar I'm building. This is a first for me. I've been going to the class one night a week for a few months now.

The back and sides are mahogany; the top is spruce. The neck is also mahogany with lacewood on the headstock. The fretboard is rosewood. The dots/spots on the fretboard are also lacewood. The ring around the sound hole is koa. The bindings (wood trim) around the body is curly maple. I have genuine ivory on the heel of the neck. The "maker's mark" is genuine ivory, and I had a local scrimshaw artist do the initials, etc. That piece will be inlaid into the headstock.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v107_Leathercrafter_Guitar2.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v107_Leathercrafter_Guitar2c.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v107_Leathercrafter_Guitar2a.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v107_Leathercrafter_Guitar2b.jpg

This week I should be putting the fret wire on and doing some other work on the neck. Next week I should be mounting the bridge and getting everything lined up and level in that respect. I'll also be making a pickguard out of ebony wood with an inlaid genuine ivory border. I've already made one pickguard out of the lacewood. I've also made a playing pick out of the lacewood and one out of the genuine ivory.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice. I have friends who are luthiers and I am always amazed at any ones builds.

I had a guy a few yeasr ago show me how to work on tube amps.
If you were in Tulsa you would be in great demand. One of our best passed away recently and the one oldest shop in town that most pros go to is s l o w . I tour with 2 bands so I have a tech for guitar work but having a good tube amp tech is golden these days. I use guys in a couple of different cities for repair work. Biasing I can do my own biasing when changeing tubes,but when I need any mods done I send my amps to either Jerry at FJA or take em to Wilder Amplification when I'm back home in northern Cali. I have a few other places too. Just need other options when I'm home in Tulsa.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice. I have friends who are luthiers and I am always amazed at any ones builds.

If you were in Tulsa you would be in great demand. One of our best passed away recently and the one oldest shop in town that most pros go to is s l o w . I tour with 2 bands so I have a tech for guitar work but having a good tube amp tech is golden these days. I use guys in a couple of different cities for repair work. Biasing I can do my own biasing when changeing tubes,but when I need any mods done I send my amps to either Jerry at FJA or take em to Wilder Amplification when I'm back home in northern Cali. I have a few other places too. Just need other options when I'm home in Tulsa.

Rick's passing is a big loss. Just two nights ago one of my amps he had worked on previously started giving me trouble. I don't know where to take it now. I've heard some bad stories about the shop on Harvard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom