Gulf Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwilly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The family is headed out to Port A, TX in a few weeks and I'm interested in trying some salt water fishing. Looking for any ideas or tips as far as gear, technique etc. Just looking to fish from the pier and beach. Will freshwater gear work or do I need to buy a saltwater rig? Thanks.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is something similar I used when I lived in Galveston,Tx.
amyrtlebeachfishingcharters.net_yahoo_site_admin_assets_images_DA5487B9.11172802_std.jpg

atrophyrigs.com_images_weights_2.jpg

I either had one or two hooks rigged up like the top picture. It depended on the surf.....semi-rough surf I used the sputnick weight. You open the little bars and it looks like a treble hook.'

Throw it out...let it sink...pull on the rod to make the sinker dig into the sand while the bait was at different levels.

Mild surf I used one like the pryamid sinker with the bait floating at different levels.

***Go and see what the locals are using and buy cheap(wal-mart). See what is running(type of fish) and what is biting. Different fish eat different bait...also live-vs-dead bait.

You will need a fishing license.....I don't know who many people I saw in Galveston with the wrong size and limit.....plus no license.

Have fun and goodluck!!

Cohiba

**Don't forget the sunscreen and suntan lotion..........I use to see alot of "lobster" tourist in Galveston on semi-sunny & overcast days!!!

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Fished caldwell in Port A. quite a few times. Night time under lights using berkley gulp mullet or gulp minnow (pearl or chart) for specks and sand. Best to put on double rig two 1/4 oz. jig heads. If you dont know how to double rig, single is ok. If you use dead shrimp you will get alot of trash fish. Live shrimp under slip cork is ok sometimes and bottom with little blue crab is good for big bulls.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good point,Dennis,but it's not in Oklahoma.I lived in St. Pete,Fl. for 3 years and did a fair amount of gulf fishing.I used a rig like Cohiba pictured.One of the most successful fisherman I met used a light freshwater rod because he could feel the strikes better than he could with a saltwater rod.Don't hesitate to ask the locals for advice also.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated, check in with the locals to see what's hitting what. For inshore fishing you can't go wrong with a 1/4oz jig head and soft plastics like Berkley Gulp and Saltwater Assassin. Inshore you can also use the MirroLure suspending saltwater plugs, and for topwater I like the Bomber Badonkadonk or Heddon Super Spook.

I use a 7ft rod, medium/medium heavy action and 15lb test line. All of my experience is in FL so this all may the exact opposite of what's working in TX.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Live shrimp under a popping cork is always a hit. You'll know the action is fixing to start when you see the shrimp hopping out of the water around the cork.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom