Gun Buster Sign at Sooner Mall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzManG149

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know thats a good question because I was also there Saturday and didnt notice any signs out either. I wander if they have posted them in the mall entrace outside of sears?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know thats a good question because I was also there Saturday and didnt notice any signs out either. I wander if they have posted them in the mall entrace outside of sears?

At the mall in Shawnee, their policy is to ban firearms in the common areas and allow the anchor stores to have their own policy. It would seem that the anchor stores can make their own policy since the business owner can not remove the rights of the tenant, however I would not go from the anchor store into the mall itself.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you see what else is on that list?

Loitering...kids wont be able to go to the mall and just "hang out" anymore. Not that I would let my kid do it anyway, stupid really.

I would guess Sears is OK with guns seeing as how back in the day they used to sell them.

Last edited:

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I dislike it, I'll be shopping at WalMart a lot more in the future.

My local nieghborhood CVS posted a "No Guns" sign on thier door. I didn't notice it (process really) until I walked past it. I went back out and stood there in the entrance and read it. Turned around and got in my truck and left. I'll be leaving a message today for the manager expressing how dissapointed I am in not being able to shop there in the future. I really liked how handy it was. But oh well it is what it is.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just sent this to Ms. Palmerton

Dear Ms. Palmerton,

It has been brought to my attention that Sooner Mall has instituted a policy banning all weapons from the mall. While I am a staunch advocate of a business's right to operate in the manner they deem most appropriate, I thought it important to let you know that your facility will no longer receive my business.

I am the lawful holder of a permit to carry a firearm in Oklahoma, something I do not take lightly. I sometimes carry my firearm openly, but more often concealed, in accordance with all state laws. In the past, I have found Sooner Mall to be a great place to shop, especially around this upcoming holiday season. However, with the holiday season always comes a rise in the rate of crime, including robbery. I will not willingly allow myself or my family members to be seen as disarmed targets by predators who may be out looking for an easy score this holiday season. To be honest, were I a criminal with such an inclination toward robbery or violent crime, the signs you have placed at Sooner Mall would make me all the more likely to target your patrons on their way in or out of the mall, being assured that they would be unable to contribute significantly to their own defense... against me!

Oklahoma has recently become the 44th state to allow citizens to openly carry firearms, and the fact of the matter is, the number of negative incidents involving lawfully-permitted firearms in the hands of honest, law-abiding citizens is almost immeasurably low - nationwide! In fact, the 140,000+ Oklahomans who currently hold a permit for concealed or open carry of firearms have been shown by the OSBI to have a lower rate of felony convictions than even Oklahoma's commissioned law enforcement officers! That is astounding to me, and heartening at the same time. Oklahoma is generally a very polite society, and the lawful and responsible carrying of firearms allows your patrons to defend themselves should the unthinkable happen. I believe this is a right you should not attempt to restrict.

With all respect and humility, I will this holiday season make the trip to other malls for my holiday shopping needs, such as Penn Square or Quail Springs.

Thank you very much for your attention, and I hope that you may have a change of heart and consider changing your policy. Please consider changing your signs to read, "No illegal weapons" or "Weapons prohibited except as specifically permitted by the Oklahoma Self Defense Act" or something to that effect. Even banning the open carry of firearms, while allowing people to continue to carry our weapons concealed (as we have since 1996 in Oklahoma) is a better option than simply turning us away.

I welcome your response and would be happy to help in your continued decision-making process in any way I can.

Sincerely,

Prolly a bit long-winded and will likely get canned immediately upon seeing the subject. <sigh> In my experience shopping malls are pretty paranoid about liability issues.

It might be considered to be long winded but it was very well written. I would like to see what Hardware wrote to the Mexican restaurant in his email

Latest posts

Top Bottom