Gun Legislation Letter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A letter which I used to urge my friends and relatives to let their reps know they oppose the looming gun control measures. Now is the time to speak up and get your circle of friends and relatives to do the same!

Dear Friend or Relative,
-
I write to you on the eve of some proposed gun legislation which concerns me deeply. In the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre, measures are being proposed which will do nothing to protect our children but which may well be the beginning of the end of our right to keep and bear firearms.
-
Under Senator Feinstein’s legislation any of 120 different semi-automatic firearms will be banned from further sale. She misnames them as “assault weapons” as if other firearms cannot be used to assault someone. Those who currently own them will be required to register them, go through a background check, pay a $200 tax per weapon, be unable to move them across state lines without permission and will have to open their homes for inspection by government officials. The weapons affected go far beyond the AR style rifle used in the Connecticut incident. Registration has been the beginning of eventual confiscation in numerous other countries and we can expect the same thing here if it is allowed to go forward.
-
The proposed measures will do nothing to protect children in schools or elsewhere. Evil has been around for a long time and other ways are easily found to kill the defenseless. Consider the Bath Township School Bombing in 1927, in which almost twice as many were killed as at Sandy Hook. Consider the destructive power of a shotgun at close range. No one is asking that pump shotguns be banned – yet. The answer is not to ban or restrict certain firearms. To protect schools the answer is to have armed individuals onsite at each school who can respond and protect the kids in the critical ten minutes or so before police can arrive.
-
Please write both of your U.S .Senators and your U.S. Representative, asking that they refuse to compromise and refuse to enact any gun control measures. You can find their contact information at http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm and http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/.
-
The art of compromise is highly valued by politicians but they need to know that we will not tolerate their compromise of the Second Amendment or any other of the Amendments making up the Bill of Rights. As Benjamin Franklin said, “Those who give up some of their liberties in an effort to obtain security will end up with neither.”
-
Thank you,

P.S. I am happy to discuss this issue further. Contact me if you wish.
P.P.S. If you wish to forward this on, please do so, but kindly remove my name from the bottom.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom