gun questions for the wife.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is 5'2'' and pretty weak however she wants to get one or two guns. One for a CCW and another for home defense. I mentioned a revolver and a shotgun. However she is unable to pump my mossberg 500. Are there any easier to cycle shotguns? Are there any easy trigger pull revolvers out there?

How strong or tall do you need to be to shoot a gun anyway?

Most every woman I've met who "thought" they could not cycle a semi auto "because I don't have a strong grip" was shown how to do it wrong in the first place.

Roll your hand over the top... get a full, stout grip, with the whole palm-fingers holding on the slide ... and with a violent - push and pull ... "rope start" that gun with as much gusto as you can muster.

When anyone comes around me... and pinches the slide between the thumb and fore-finger... then treats the pistol as if it was made of a chunk of defective ice... I know they have NO training and need some instruction.

When was the last time you took that Mossberg down and cleaned it... and lubricated it. A little "fear" and lack of proper instruction will make any one fail at this little task. Children struggle the first time or two... and 8 year olds can work a Mossberg 500 after they get a little confidence and learn that it wont break if they put a little "back into it".

Whatever SHE decides she likes... get her some good training that builds the correct skills... from the basics (safety-operations) right up to Defensive shooting skills.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is 5'2'' and pretty weak however she wants to get one or two guns. One for a CCW and another for home defense. I mentioned a revolver and a shotgun. However she is unable to pump my mossberg 500. Are there any easier to cycle shotguns? Are there any easy trigger pull revolvers out there?

My wife is even smaller, 5' and less than 100 lbs. She has some medical problems that make her weak. She keeps a .45 1911 for home defense. She likes it a lot better than my Bersa .380. She cannot work the slide, but she has 9 rounds to stop the bad guys. I make sure that it is kept in good working order so that the chance of a FTF is remote. I figure that is better than a gun that she will not shoot regularly. She does not go out very much by herself so she is not too concerned about CCW. I keep trying to talk her into a tazer, but that is always low on her priority list. She also has access to an AR-15 that she can shoot pretty well.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have her look at a Beretta Tomcat 32. This is what my wife picked out for her carry gun simply because she doesn't have to rack the slide to load it. It can be carried cocked and locked just like a 1911 and each shot is single action or if C&L bothers her first shot is double action.

Can't help on the shotty, we have three 9mm's and a 380 in various places around the house. All are loaded and ready, if needed all she has to do is pull the trigger. Although probably not a good idea if you have kids around..

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1. The gun is for her not you. Get her to a gun store to try out different models.

2. Stay away from all the ultra-lightweights, from the start recoil will be an issue. If she doesn't like the recoil she's not going to use it.

3. Once she settles on one she like's, unless you've trained females before, get her some training from someone familiar with training women!! Yes its different from us guy's.

4. Shotguns, youth model's in 20ga, or possibly a SxS in 20ga. Start her out with field loads, not buckshot or slugs, refer back to statement #2.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jef, that is exactly how she was taught to rack a slide, the glocks, rugers etc she tried in the shop could not be done, carple tunnel & week hands in general. She like my p22 & could work that fine the PK380 was just a spur of the moment at the shop & it work from the get go, I do agrre with LDP & that is how we went The only 20 ga we have are franchi 48 al which are very light & kick more than a 12 ga so we havent doe the shotgun yet, looking at a youth 20 870, mosberg or youth remington gas op

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. The gun is for her not you. Get her to a gun store to try out different models.

As stated above, the gun is for her. Send her to this site for solid advice -- http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx#FirstGun

3. Once she settles on one she like's, unless you've trained females before, get her some training from someone familiar with training women!! Yes its different from us guy's.

More good advice here...save your marriage and let someone else teach her to shoot. Tammy Pinkston is a good trainer: http://oklahomapersonaldefense.com/tammy.html My wife, already comfortable with firearms, took several of her classes on the way to concealed carry license. After trying over dozen revolvers and pistols, she now carries an M&P 9C.

abbazabba73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive got a ruger sp 101 in .32 h-r mag, it has 6 shots and the .32 mag rd has a velocity near .38. in hollow point i think it would be a good defensive rd. plus the recoil of a .22 darn near. my good friend got one for his wife in the .327 federal mag being more common to find than the .32mag and she loves it, she went from her walther pk380 to the ruger immediately. plus, i can do rattlesnake inserts on one if you get one for 25 buck, the look and feel killer!!!

abbazabba73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai1134.photobucket.com_albums_m606_abbazabba73_pararugers013.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom