Guns in cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because your home doesn't sit on a public street. I'm all for concealed carry permits being issued to law-abiding citizens, but using BurkLee's logic would extend a homeowner's rights (i.e.; against unlawful entry and illegal search and seizure) to their vehicle and therefore extend the same protections to any and everything they could stuff into their car with no prior background checks or screening - I just don't think that would be wise.

Lousiana Law states that your car is an EXTENSION of your home with MOST of the same rights of privacy afforded.

In Lousiana, you can carry ANY [legal] gun, ANYwhere in the car, on your person, concealed, visible, loaded, chambered, empty, whatever!

I can't remember HOW many times I've approached a thug's car in New Orleans and spot an AK47 laying across the backseat or before I can even ask for their DL, I spot a Glock tucked in between the console and seats. It's a bit nerve wracking but with proper training, technique, and attitude - all obstacles can be overcome.

Particularly when dragged through the open car window by their dread locks.

Whoops. I meant, "when asked politely to exit their vehicle..."

That was a JOKE! Hah...ha....uhh...riiiight.

Seriously, though; even with the obvious safety issues present, I believe it is a person's RIGHT (read: Liberty) to carry any [legal] weapon in their vehicle as LONG as there is some form of 'acknowledgement law', such as informing the Officer upon being stopped, "I have a firearm in my vehicle; it's in the glovebox." Officer: "Okay, just leave it there and present your driver's license, please."

JUST LIKE A CCW.

But what do I know.

bashed1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understood - that's the law in Louisiana. It would be the law in Oklahoma if we, the people, made it so. Did you agree with that Louisiana law, or would you have rather it been illegal for open carry of rifles and handguns?

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think your car should be treated EXACTLY like your home. You don't need a "license" to carry in your home, why should you have to be "licensed" to carry a weapon in your car.

I understand the safety of our LEO's is foremost but I have a problem anytime we are told how and when we can be armed and the stipulations for such carry.

BC

There is no expectation of privacy when operating your vehicle on a public road way and remeber driving is a privelage not a right, you have a right to a home and to live but there are no constitutional gaurantees of the right to drive

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understood - that's the law in Louisiana. It would be the law in Oklahoma if we, the people, made it so. Did you agree with that Louisiana law, or would you have rather it been illegal for open carry of rifles and handguns?

I disagree that your vehicle is an extension of your home plain and simple its not. In your house its your castle where I feel you should be protected and defended from everything you choose to be protected and defended against. However a vehicle simply by nature of its design to be mobile and the fact that they are left un-attended when parked I don't feel should be an extension of your home by any means because that opens up a whole new ballgame of legal defense for crimes committed in your car.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think there should be a license to carry any gun in any manner anywhere. It's already illegal to shoot people. That's enough.

Weapons license:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Scamp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think there should be a license to carry any gun in any manner anywhere. It's already illegal to shoot people. That's enough.

Weapons license:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I agree 100%!

Latest posts

Top Bottom