Had a visitor stop by today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW - I have a question. Must ALL bobcats be tagged? The regulations are kinda' vague to me. In one portion, it talks like only pelts to be sold/bartered/traded must be tagged. But, in the "Tagging Hints" at the top of page 33, it leads one to believe that ALL bobcats must be tagged. Like I said, I've never shot one and haven't even talked with anyone who has shot one in recent years.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW - I have a question. Must ALL bobcats be tagged? The regulations are kinda' vague to me. In one portion, it talks like only pelts to be sold/bartered/traded must be tagged. But, in the "Tagging Hints" at the top of page 33, it leads one to believe that ALL bobcats must be tagged. Like I said, I've never shot one and haven't even talked with anyone who has shot one in recent years.

Yep, just call and meet the GW, give him your info and they'll give you a tag. Tagged a bunch of them.
Bobcat & River Otter Tagging Requirements
No bobcat or river otter pelt may be held in possession after 10 working days after the close of furbearer season by the taker or buyer, sold, purchased or bartered within Oklahoma, nor taken out of Oklahoma, without having first affixed a permanent tag to the pelt. This tag shall serve as an export tag. The tag must be affixed by an authorized employee of the Department or designated private tagging agent.

It is the responsibility of the possessor of the bobcat or river otter pelt, not the Department, to ensure that the pelt is legally tagged. No untagged bobcat or river otter harvested in another state may be possessed in Oklahoma. Tags are available from any game warden, wildlife biologist, state fish hatchery, Department field office and specifically designated private tagging station. Designated private tagging stations may charge a fee of 75 cents per tag. 2013-2014 bobcat or river otter export tags will not be affixed after March 14, 2014.

Sale of Furs
Persons taking pelts during the season shall have 10 working days after the close of the season to sell or dispose of the pelts or notify the Department in writing of intent to hold pelts after the 10-day deadline. All pelts held after the 10-day deadline must be inventoried on a form provided by an authorized Department employee. All bobcats and river otters must have a permanent tag affixed for the current year, prior to being held for later sale.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the Title 800 regs, (the actual legal code) you must tag them.

800:25-7-64. General provisions for furbearers

The following general provisions apply to the taking of furbearers:

(1) Sale of carcass. The skinned carcass of any legal furbearer or predator may be sold, offered or displayed for sale or bartered at any time. The sale of scent glands from furbearers or predators is permitted.

(2) Bobcat and River Otter export tag.

(A) No bobcat or river otter pelt may be held in possession after 10 working days after the close of furbearer season by the taker or buyer, sold, purchased or bartered within Oklahoma, nor taken out of Oklahoma without having first affixed a permanent tag to the pelt. This tag shall serve as an export tag.

(B) The tag must be affixed by an authorized employee of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, a designated agent, or a private tagging station. Private tagging station may charge $0.75 per tag fee.

(C) It is the responsibility of the possessor of the bobcat or river otter pelt, not the Department, to ensure that the pelt is legally tagged.

(D) No untagged bobcat or river otter harvested in another state may be possessed in Oklahoma.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a game cam pic of one, had two paw prints within an inch of stepping on my trap last year, and seen one in the wild for about 4.6 seconds. They are elusive for sure. Crazy she just came right by like that. Was she on the trail of the turkey?

I am not sure if she was tracking the turkey or if it was just coincidental but this is the second time I have seen her. Once during muzzle loader and now. Once while hunting in Louisiana I had a mom and her kit come in and lounge under my stand for about 20 minutes. I think she was trying to teach the youngster how to stalk squirrels but he wasn't interested. He just kept pouncing on mom so they moved on. I have never shot one, didnt want to ruin my deer hunt. I wish I would have had a camera on me I would love to have gotten a better picture. that was the best I could do with a cell phone.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious, how much do the pelts go for? I always thought I would just have one mounted, never thought about cash.
It all depends on the quality of the fur and how big it is. Average is around $125-$150 last year with some of the better ones going over $300. You will usually get more at auction, but not always.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was deer hunting several years ago and had a cat walk directly towards my truck and walked under the drivers side mirror so close I lost sight of it with my window down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom