Had an owl fly into my front door last night ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last night while I was waiting on GC to get home from RickN's (thank you Rick! :teehee:) a baby owl flew into my screen door. Good thing I had the front door open and the porch light on as he would have been cat food if I hadn't heard him rattle the screen.

Anyway he was about 8 inches long and oddly enough calm as he could be. I put on a pair of leather gloves and scooped him up. Brought him in the house and checked him out. No broken wing or any other obvious injuries. Looked me right in the eye and hooted at me a couple of times so I figured he was good to go.

Took him back outside, set him on a tree branch and waited. He sat there for a minute looking around and then soared off.

It was pretty cool. I've seen a lot of neat critter things in my day but never been that close to an owl ... Very beautiful bird. Pictures don't do them justice.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess we wouldn't know since you didn't take pictures...

Just busting your...chops.

Cool experience. When I first read the thread title I half expected a wild story about trying to get it out of your house.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess we wouldn't know since you didn't take pictures...

Just busting your...chops.

Cool experience. When I first read the thread title I half expected a wild story about trying to get it out of your house.

Haha!! I KNOW ... I am such a dunce ... about 10 minutes after I let him go I said "**** I should of taken a picture of him!!!" We have three cats and two of them were really eye-spying the little fella. And I was eye-spying them ... little bastards ... it's not like they don't eat like pigs already or anything ...

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About 8 inches? Assuming it was an adult, I'm curious which one of these guys it could have been. These are the 4 small owls found in Oklahoma:

Eastern Screen Owl
[Broken External Image]

We have Western Screech Owls in Oklahoma, too, but they're supposed to be in extreme western parts of the state.

Here's a Western:
upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_6_6b_Westernscreechowl.JPG

Burrowing owl (pretty bland looking little guy):
upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_5_5b_Burrowing_Owl_4354.jpg

Northern Saw-whet owl:
[Broken External Image]

If it was a screech owl, you were lucky all you heard was "hoot". If you've never heard these things scream before, you would have sworn you were holding a demented demon bird there to collect your soul.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He was whiter than any of those guys but he did have little bitty horny things on his head. It never occurred to me that he might be an adult. I thought maybe he was a baby ... hmmmmm ...

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He was whiter than any of those guys but he did have little bitty horny things on his head. It never occurred to me that he might be an adult. I thought maybe he was a baby ... hmmmmm ...

Little bitty horny things?? You must be trying to get me banned!! My mind just naturally starts for the gutter when I read things like that.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little bitty horny things?? You must be trying to get me banned!! My mind just naturally starts for the gutter when I read things like that.

Oh great, thanks for taking the thread there. Now I'm trying to purge my mind of impure thoughts. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom