Had an owl fly into my front door last night ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little bitty horny things?? You must be trying to get me banned!! My mind just naturally starts for the gutter when I read things like that.

Oh great, thanks for taking the thread there. Now I'm trying to purge my mind of impure thoughts. Thanks.

lol ... oh man ... I am seriously off my game ... :lookaroun

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... Nope doesn't look like anything on the wiki link. Maybe he was a Western and just a little lighter color than the one in the picture you posted. Now you've got me curious ... I'm gonna go look around the www and see what I can find ...

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... Nope doesn't look like anything on the wiki link. Maybe he was a Western and just a little lighter color than the one in the picture you posted. Now you've got me curious ... I'm gonna go look around the www and see what I can find ...

Well, if it was a juvenile then they can look almost completely different than the adults.

For example, adult great horned owl:
upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_1_11_Horned1b.jpg

Juveniles:
upload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_commons_9_90_Bubo_virginianus__14c06b990417644cd179ebd15a0aa002.jpg

Which you said whiter, had little horns, could be those guys ^^^ ?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's pretty cool! Had a great bigazz owl hanging around the neighborhood last year. Haven't seen him this summer so he probably moved on. Owls are cool birds. Had a great big one land a few feet from me when I was about 25' up in a tree stand once. He finally noticed me and stared for a bit and casually flew off. The neighbor a couple of houses down had a small koi pond. He had some giant prehistoric uglyazz looking bird staking it out. One morning he got up and all but a couple of his fish were gone. Evidently so was it, because he never saw it again.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK ... I have come to the conclusion that he must have been a Western Screech Owl ... Of course, IF I had taken a picture I MIGHT be able to go back and compare ... duh!!

Whatever he was, he was definitely calm under pressure ... I'm sure two cats looking at him with drool running down there chins and some old lady with big gloves man-handling him had to be a bit spooky for the little dude ... I thought it was interesting that when I put him on the tree branch he turned his head and looked at me for a bit. I couldn't decide if he was grateful I didn't eat him or if he was just wondering what kind of critter I was and needed a second look.

I will say this ... it was really cool the way he flew off ... just kinda coasted until he got around the corner of the neighbor's house and then took off ... it was REALLY neat.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been told by some Cherokees that if a owl flies into their house that they have to immediately leave, taking nothing and burn it to the ground. Has anyone else ever heard this?

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been told by some Cherokees that if a owl flies into their house that they have to immediately leave, taking nothing and burn it to the ground. Has anyone else ever heard this?
Owls are considered bad omens in some cultures. Rest assured that it has no real basis in fact.
First someone claims to see and owl and the next thing you know people are yelling about earthquakes, tornado's and floods.
Lets try to remain rational folks.

Michael

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Owls are considered bad omens in some cultures. Rest assured that it has no real basis in fact.
First someone claims to see and owl and the next thing you know people are yelling about earthquakes, tornado's and floods.
Lets try to remain rational folks.

Michael

Pfft ... that's no fun!! LOL

BTW, just for the record, I'm much more afraid of a democrat than I am an owl. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom