Had some bear meat last night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not had the privilege of tasting any wild game. I sampled some poorly made deer sausage and thats it. I want to taste a bison burger though.

I believe you can get a buffalo burger at Cherokee Trading Post at the Geary exit on I-40. It's been a year or two since I've been there but it was excellent.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family actually had a young buffalo butchered and we really liked it. Very mild taste. The burgers were good but I try to not cook much past medium rare.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd pass on the bison burger... unless it's mixed with another meat, maybe? Bison is very very lean, kind of like venison. Therefore, IMO, it doesn't make a great burger. In fact, I had one once, in Boulder, CO. Restaurant called Turley's, the night my wife proposed (NYE 1999). The burger was HORRIBLE! The driest thing I've ever eaten... it was like... cardboard. Sawdust. Ugh. Too dry for a burger, IMO.

They overcooked it. Don't let that one experience ruin your opinion on bison, or at least bison burgers. Cooked properly, they are super delicious! If you have your own meat grinder, grind it yourself and cook it to medium rare, medium at most. It sounds like they cooked your bison burger the same way they cooked their beef burgers, where bison should be done at least a couple of minutes before a beef burger.

However, a bison ribeye on the grill cooked medium rare is the way to go with bison.

grnflash

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Alaska, and we'd only take bear during the summer before the salmon runs. If you caught them while they were still eating a lot of berries, the meat was really good... kind of like a very lean chuck. If you got into them in the fall, though, after they starting eating the fish it was gamey, greasy crap. Caribou was the best. Rudolph makes a hell of a meal!

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Alaska, and we'd only take bear during the summer before the salmon runs. If you caught them while they were still eating a lot of berries, the meat was really good... kind of like a very lean chuck. If you got into them in the fall, though, after they starting eating the fish it was gamey, greasy crap. Caribou was the best. Rudolph makes a hell of a meal!

That may be why I heard bear was greasy. Thanks for the tip!

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I ever shoot a bear it'll be in self defense. A bear just doesn't look like something that's fit to eat.
I used to take possums and coons to an old man in Hobart who considered them a delicacy.
I won't eat that kind of stuff if i can help it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Your not the first I've heard this from.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are omnivors. They are of the pig family. Technically the males are called boars and the females called sows.

I used to live in Alaska and hunted them for a few years. As mentioned earlier if taken in the Spring before they gorge on the salmon runs they are awesome. Black bears are anyway. Never ate any grizzlies. Too me the black bear roast has the consistency of pork but is darker and leaner. If it has the very faint game taste it's really good. Most of what I had wasn't gamey at all but still quite good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom