Had some bear meat last night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always heard the bison ribeyes are the bomb... never managed to find any at the local market, though. Going to have to try again this summer.

If you find them as mentioned before proper cooking is the key. Sear them over coals for about 2 minutes over really high heat, flip and do the other side, reduce the heat (indirect method works well) and cook to medium rare at most. One of the best steaks on earth. Taste and smell is identical to beef to me, but after reading up on the nutritional stuff I'm convinced God put them here for us to eat. If you like your beef cooked well Bison may not be for you. It's just not as tender that way, but cooked properly it's every bit as good as beef.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I ever shoot a bear it'll be in self defense. A bear just doesn't look like something that's fit to eat.
I used to take possums and coons to an old man in Hobart who considered them a delicacy.
I won't eat that kind of stuff if i can help it.

I hear its "interesting" to clean them.....once you get the fur off, they closely resemble a human body which really bothers some people.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear its "interesting" to clean them.....once you get the fur off, they closely resemble a human body which really bothers some people.

This is true. When you clean a bear with having a mount done in mind you skin it from the chest/abdomen area out to the head and paws. Once you have it skinned out to the wrists and jaw/skull areas you sever the head and paws and leave them in the hide for the taxidermist to work on. The first time I stood back and looked at the carcass it was skinned, headless, without paws and on its back with arms splay to the sides. It really did look like a man (about 5'4') had been skinned and decapitated. Me and my two hunting buddies thought that was pretty interesting. Didn't give me any nightmares or anything, but I'll never forget how it just froze me in place for about 15 to 20 seconds. I knew what to expect with subsequent bears so it never bothered me.

imasoonerfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our Boy Scout Troop is headed to a Mountain Man Rendezvous this weekend and typically there is a guy that has kangaroo. Never tried it but everyone that has seems to like it.

Also a guy with a whole hog on a spit and there have been guys with beaver and bear as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom