1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

HAM operators

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LinearZero, Jan 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don't think Morse is required for a basic license anymore.

2. Poke78

Poke78 Sharpshooter

There is no longer any code requirement for licensing. There are specific sub-bands allocated for digital modes, such as Morse code/CW, and there are contests and special events just for code operations. It most certainly is not a lost skill or mode.

MacFromOK likes this.
  3. Dave70968

Dave70968 Sharpshooter

FWIW, Morse is still used in some real-world applications, not just in the amateur service. For instance, all aircraft navigational stations broadcast their identifiers in Morse; you're expected to A) listen for the presence of the identifier (the transmission is disabled if the station is out-of-service), and B) decode it to make sure you have the right station.

Granted, NDBs and VORs are going away, but they're not gone yet.

Poke78 likes this.
  4. OKCHunter

OKCHunter Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    This^^^ I've got a General License and have worked off and on to learn Code. No doubt it is the best way to communicate when all else fails. In the meantime, HRD works great for CW and digital modes. I really like PSK31 - have met some nice folks around the world.

Raptor62 likes this.
  5. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If one does plan to learn code, get a good program for it. When I was in the Army, I had to learn code. When overseas, we had some guys attached to our unit that had never learned code, so we had to teach them. My trick chief insisted that he be the teacher. After a few days, he came to me and asked me to work with them. He said they couldn't do code at all.

I sat down with them and started sending code and they picked it right up and learned it quickly. Come to find out, the trick chief was "ham-fisted" and could send clear, even code, so they were confused as to the pattern they were hearing.

A good code program will work wonders by being clear and even.

Poke78 and Raptor62 like this.
  6. LinearZero

LinearZero Marksman

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Thank you everybody for all the resources and postings to get me on board! I passed my Technician today! Very much appreciative of the support here.

7. KOPBET

KOPBET Sharpshooter

Good job.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  8. Poke78

Poke78 Sharpshooter

Congrats to you and the other 4 members of our Sperry class, sponsored by the Tulsa Amateur Radio Club. Quick learners with high desire make the class go better. Hope your path includes getting your General license soon!

p238shooter likes this.
  9. Free Trapper

Free Trapper Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Congragulations to all new hams!!

No, I'm not gonna moan and groan how us old timers had to pass a 13wpm code test for General and a 20 wpm word test for Extra.

I would however, suggest that all you learn Morse. It is my favorite mode and a lot of fun.

I understand some of the LRP's and Special Forces still use some cw in the field....but I may be wrong as I haven't heard anything reliable in some years.

Here is one of the variations of the "knee key" used on patrol and recon....it is also excellent for cutting off your circulation after about 30 minutes :)

grc9-key-total1-395.jpg

Poke78 likes this.