Handcuffs for civillian use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed in the classifieds that someone was selling handcuffs and it made me think...

So let's say a bad guy breaks into your home, you knock him down either by shooting them or physically fighting them.

The bad guy is down, still alive and capable of coming back around for round two. Can you restrain them with hand cuffs till the cops arrive?

I know out in the street you run into that citizen arrest complications, but if its in your own home is it a pretty clear "self defense" measure that you can legally use?

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
yes you can, i keep a set handy in my car and in my house just for that reason.
there is some legality to it that you might look in to. as in are you qualified to cuff someone? ever taken a course, did you tell that person your cuffing that their under arrest.
most of that is gonna be on the civil law suite side.

as a citizen thats arrested 20 + people i always tell then they are being placed under arrest. then call the police, fill out the report and turn over custody to the officer.
typically i use s&w modal 100 cuffs and just trade with the arresting officer so that we dont have to uncuff the suspect.

but yes i think it would be better then shooting them again or taking a chance that they may have a weapon on them.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^Liar^^^ :)

I'd say you'd be fine, but I wouldn't really recommend having them at all other times.

But, always remember how tools work... they're only an asset if you know how to use them.

For a cop, the most dangerous part of arresting somebody is when you go to put cuffs on them. It requires two hands, which means you don't have your gun in your hand... and if you try to do it with your gun in your hand, you're running a HUGE risk of you gun getting jacked, and you getting shot.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you put them down, stop firing, and they get up and come at you again, you better shoot them...again.

I'm not worried about it because if someone breaks into my place I'm going to be using the entire magazine.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about anybody else here, but I'm not gonna get close enough to someone to handcuff them.
I'm not trained to do it and even if I were, I probably still wouldn't. Simply keep them at a safe distance at gunpoint if you have to.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the above posters. If you have never done it, practice on someone that will put up a fight. Getting at least one on can be helpful if you can use it as leverage, HOWEVER, it can then become a deadly weapon in the BG's favor if you lose control of him.

It is not a slam bang issue. Just like shooting is waaaaay different than Xbox, it is not as easy as what you see on TV.

:hellno:

Latest posts

Top Bottom