Handcuffs for civillian use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like others have said, it's not that I'd want to be close enough to cuff someone, but if you had to, why not just use zip ties?

Granted, they could be cuff off, but at least zip ties are handy to keep around for various other purposes, don't raise questions, and in that 1% case you need to detain someone, they're functional.

their not sear strong enough

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't cuff them in les than 3 sec. don't try. Our unit trains to take assilants on foot and on horseback (yes you can search a man and cuff him without getting off your mount). I derfinitely prefer diong it of horseback, if the perpatrator wants to fight, I've got 1200 lbs of horse to do it with, and I promise they don't win.

For what it's worth

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't cuff them in les than 3 sec. don't try. Our unit trains to take assilants on foot and on horseback (yes you can search a man and cuff him without getting off your mount). I derfinitely prefer diong it of horseback, if the perpatrator wants to fight, I've got 1200 lbs of horse to do it with, and I promise they don't win.

For what it's worth

How the heck are you going to search someone while on your horse:screwy:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes you can, i keep a set handy in my car and in my house just for that reason.
there is some legality to it that you might look in to. as in are you qualified to cuff someone? ever taken a course, did you tell that person your cuffing that their under arrest.
most of that is gonna be on the civil law suite side.

as a citizen thats arrested 20 + people i always tell then they are being placed under arrest. then call the police, fill out the report and turn over custody to the officer.
typically i use s&w modal 100 cuffs and just trade with the arresting officer so that we dont have to uncuff the suspect.

but yes i think it would be better then shooting them again or taking a chance that they may have a weapon on them.

20 people? did you work in a club or something? and yeah I would guess it would be better than shooting them again. you think?

back on topic..I think that having no experiance cuffing someone and thinking you are gonna lock them up like on TV is a good way to get seriously compromised and hurt.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NRA training on the matter says when they are down, inside or outside, whether shot or not, keep your distance and call the police. Basically most of us are not trained to get close, handcuf, and be safe.

I believe, someone with more knowldege can comment, but as far as the Self Defense Act goes, when OUTSIDE and being attacked, you have the right to STOP the attack. Once the attacker is stopped you need to stop. Your job is not to detain or arrest (I know you can't arrest but you know what I mean). So, if you shoot them, and they are down, and then they get up and walk away, according to the SDA you are suppose to let them go as they are no longer posing a threat to your life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom