Handcuffs for civillian use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martialartsblackbelt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
20 people? did you work in a club or something? and yeah I would guess it would be better than shooting them again. you think?

back on topic..I think that having no experiance cuffing someone and thinking you are gonna lock them up like on TV is a good way to get seriously compromised and hurt.

Yes i did, but also made some arrest at some retail stores i was managing.
Broken Arrow Police was on COPS the other night and someone made a citizen arrest

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How the heck are you going to search someone while on your horse:screwy:

With the suspect facing away from you, have him put his hands on his head and interlace his fingers,on approach grab the fingers(and a hand full of hiar if neccissary), take your foot stirup and all, and put it between his legs. Pull him backward and up, therefore taking his balance and leverage away from him. With your free hand search his pockets(all of them), politely inspire him to lift his legs one at a time so that they can be searched to. Put the cuffs on one hand(we keep our cuffs on a 12' lead that is dallied on the saddlehorn) , let him back down on his feet and cuff the other hand behind him.(If he puts up a fight at this point, just turn your mount and ride off, it won't take long for him to become more agreeable, after riding in a long trot for about 50 yds, stop and ask him to comply, if not repeat the exercise, never had to do this more than twice). walk him out in front of your mount to the length of your lead, and direct him to the trailer. It would supprise you how fast you get compliance when he is being drug by a 1200 lb horse.

If you just want to stop the suspect or put them on the ground, then ride your mount past them and put your foot in his chest/back about shoulder height as you ride past.

If you have to defend yourself on a horse, RIDE HIM DOWN, run comlpletely over them w/your mount and continue to do so untill the threat is no longer.

I'm not sure about Oklahoma, but in Arkansas a horse is considered an impact weapon in the force continuum.( 1200 lb baton w/legs)

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
its unlawful to search someone at the seen of arrest for anything but weapons.
all evidence obtained during a search will be inadmissible.

Wrong,if they are under arrest LE does a complete search,anything found is admissable as long as the arrest was legal.If your just doing a non custodial("Terry v. Ohio" pat down) than your statement is true. Steve

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong,if they are under arrest LE does a complete search,anything found is admissable as long as the arrest was legal.If your just doing a non custodial("Terry v. Ohio" pat down) than your statement is true. Steve

the only thing I have to add to that is, that if the arrest was not legal I will more than likely lose my job in a very loud, public and ugly manner. My Sheriff does'nt play, if you're in the right, he will back you straight through hell, if you're doing anything wrong, unethical, illegal, or unmoral, he will make your life hell. This is the third sheriff I've workred for since 1989, and the most trusted and supportive.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hold em at gunpoint if you have them and wait for the Police. If you have never been trained to cuff someone, and are not proficient in doing so I do not recommend that you try, it could get you seriously hurt or even killed. Trust me a pair of cuffs to the side of the head hurts like hell, and I have seen people stabbed/slashed with them as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom